Kinesis TI Frame. Should I, or shouldn’t I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well. I’m just waiting for the stem and bars to arrive and I can start the build.

So far I’ve got...

Pacenti SL25 rimmed wheels with Son28/Shimano hubs
Selle Anatomica saddle
Kinesis carbon seatpost
Ultegra 6800 shifters
Ultegra 8000 font and rear mechs
Ultegra CX77 cable disc brakes
Ultegra 6800 semi-compact crankset
KMC SL chain

My remaining problem is bottle cages. Have you seen the price of titanium ones! :eek:
Just get silver. Elite do good ones as do Lezyne

Why is seatpost carbon? Not ti?!

OP
OP
Tenacious Sloth
Just get silver. Elite do good ones as do Lezyne

Why is seatpost carbon? Not ti?!

Cost, and the fact that it's DI2 battery compatible in case I decide to upgrade groupset at a later date.

OP
OP
Tenacious Sloth
3FA2713A-2140-4D56-99EF-6DF280AA41F0.jpeg
Bike built! Commuting into work on it tomorrow.

bpsmith

Veteran
PMSL

Edit: @jowwy, not the bike. Bike looks great!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
James Haydn won the Transcontinental Race on a Kinesis last year and Mike Hall was an ambassador for them.

They cant be all that bad.

OP
OP
Tenacious Sloth
Well, time for the 1000 mile review.

I love this frame. Extremely comfortable and fairly lively as well. It’s been noticeable how much fresher I feel at the end of a ride. Someone else said of titanium on another thread that it feels as if every road has been resurfaced. I find that I agree with this.

But the most important thing is... every time I look at it I think ‘nice bike’.

:smile:

froze

Über Member
The one thing you have to know about warranties on certain things like bikes is that they will screw you if they can. How long can you ride a bike and have it be found with defects in material and workmanship 30 years later? No company will warranty that and that's why they have clause in the warranty that doesn't cover normal wear and tear, and after 30 years that's what they'll say it is. I had a Orbea Scandium bike that the frame cracked from the top of the headtube about 1/2 an inch downward, Orbea would not warranty it after just 9 months of use because they first deemed to be from the result of an accident, but the LBS said no way and to warranty the bike, so Orbea changed their original diagnoses to it not being covered due to normal wear and tear...9 months and about 10,000 miles is just too many miles for their warranty!

Let's look at this from another way, I have a 1984 Trek 660 with over 160,000 miles on it, example only, lets say one of the lugs came loose and it was because of lack of proper brazing, so they decide to warranty it...how are they going to do that? They haven't made any steel lugged bikes for over 25 years, it was the second from the top of the line bike Trek sold back then, do you think they'll replace it with a second to the top of the line Trek? they would probably give me the bottom of the line aluminum piece of crap and call it good.

So really lifetime warranties are meaningless.

Top Bottom