Kinesis TI Frame. Should I, or shouldn’t I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’m on the verge of buying a Kinesis GF TI Disc frame.

The only thing that is putting me off is that the warranty is only one year.

That indicates to me a severe lack of confidence in the longevity of the frame.

Does anyone on here ride this frame and have they experienced any problems?

Graham

vickster

Legendary Member
Didn’t someone on here have a horrendous experience with Kinesis?

@Alan O maybe?

I think @Afnug has one (non disc)

Why have you specifically decided on that Ti frame?

simon.r

Person
I’ve had one for a couple of years with no problems.

CF922464-CEDD-4D7F-AE1D-6CDBEF7EAD83.jpeg

It’s a nice bike.

OP
OP
Tenacious Sloth
Didn’t someone on here have a horrendous experience with Kinesis?

@Alan O maybe?

I think @Afnug has one (non disc)

Why have you specifically decided on that Ti frame?

I could come up with a load of technical justification but, to tell the truth, I just really like the look of the frame. :smile:

And let’s be honest, liking the look of a bike is the No.1 reason to buy one. :okay:

It also has very good reviews, although they probably can’t be trusted.

@simon.r how many miles have you ridden on yours, and what do you like most about it?

Graham

simon.r

Person
@simon.r how many miles have you ridden on yours, and what do you like most about it?

Graham

I’m fortunate enough to own several bikes, so the Kinesis tends to be a longer distance, good weather bike. I’ve probably only done about 2k miles on it.

What do I like? The geometry suits me very well, it’s a very forgiving, comfortable ride, reasonably light and looks pretty!

I did 25 miles on it this evening, mostly road but with a few miles off road (nothing extreme, just riverside tracks) and it was just a pleasure to ride.

The ride is fairly similar to a good steel frame IMO.

Venod

Eh up
think @Afnug has one (non dis

I have just sold my Kinesis Mk1 non disc frame, it's been a great frame and covered a lot of miles I cleaned it up before selling and it was like new, I sold it because the biggest tyres I could fit with guards was 25mm and they were very close. The most comfortable bike I ride is my On One Pickenflick CX, so I am replacing the Kinesis Ti with a Kinesis Pro 6 CX, disc brakes and plenty of clearance, I have had one before so know how they ride.
I would certainly have another Kinesis Ti.
I thought their frames had a 3 year guarantee.

OP
OP
Tenacious Sloth
I thought their frames had a 3 year guarantee.

Straight from the Kinesis site:

This Kinesis product is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for one year from the date of retail purchase of the product, subject to the limitations detailed below. It is always recommended to keep a copy of your dated proof of purchase.
This warranty does NOT cover the following:

Damage due to improper assembly.

Damage due to lack of follow-up/routine maintenance or lack of skill, competence or experience of the user or assembler.

Products that have been modified, neglected, used in competition or for commercial purposes, misused or abused, involved in accidents or anything other than normal intended use.

Installation of components or accessories not designed or originally intended for or compatible with the frame.

Damage or deterioration to the paint, finish or aesthetics of the frame.

Damage or deterioration to the frame and/or finish due to not following the cleaning or care instructions mentioned.

Installation of components, parts or accessories not originally intended for or compatible with this Kinesis product as sold.

Normal wear and tear.

This limited warranty applies only to the original purchaser of this Kinesis product and is not transferable. This warranty applies only to products purchased through an authorized dealer or distributor. This limited warranty gives the consumer specific legal rights, which may vary from place to place. This limited warranty does not affect your statutory rights.

vickster

Legendary Member
One year is extremely poor imo for a frameset that costs £1800 or thereabouts

Have you looked at other Ti frames costing a similar amount? J Guillem, Enigma, Van Nic etc?

OP
OP
Tenacious Sloth
Just found this on their site’s FAQ page, which seems to contradict the frame assembly page:

9. What is the Warranty Period on my product?: 3 years warranty for all frames, 1 year for paint and decals, 1 year for accessories such as forks, handlebars and wheelsets. These limited warranties do not apply to normal wear and tear, claimed defects, malfunctions or failures that result from abuse, neglect, improper assembly, improper maintenance, alteration, collision, crash or misuse. Installation of components, parts, or accessories not originally intended for use with or compatible with Kinesis UK frames and components will void any warranty offered by Kinesis UK.

So maybe the warranty is 3 years after all?

vickster

Legendary Member
Just found this on their site’s FAQ page, which seems to contradict the frame assembly page:

9. What is the Warranty Period on my product?: 3 years warranty for all frames, 1 year for paint and decals, 1 year for accessories such as forks, handlebars and wheelsets. These limited warranties do not apply to normal wear and tear, claimed defects, malfunctions or failures that result from abuse, neglect, improper assembly, improper maintenance, alteration, collision, crash or misuse. Installation of components, parts, or accessories not originally intended for use with or compatible with Kinesis UK frames and components will void any warranty offered by Kinesis UK.

So maybe the warranty is 3 years after all?
Which is still short imo given the purchase cost and when other companies offer much longer

Venod

Eh up
Van Nics policy, I have not read it all but looks reasonable.

WARRANTY CONDITIONS

Article 1 – Warranty Period

1.1 Van Nicholas will replace (not repair) any Titanium frame that fails due to manufacturer defects in materials or workmanship for the lifetime of the frame. Every bicycle has a limited life, the so-called useable life-cycle. The duration of the useable life-cycle of bicycles depends on the type of frame, the way in which and the circumstances under which the bicycle is ridden and the care/maintenance the bicycle receives. The lifetime guarantee period is established on the basis of the duration of the useable life cycle of the bicycle. Van Nicholas sets the lifetime of their frames at an average of 25 years.

Top Bottom