Kinesis titanium frame, it was great while it lasted!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
I can weld titanium and have done before.Alans frame hasn't gone at a weld...more like a stress crack which is different.I could put a decent enough weld on that crack or put a sleeve round it and weld that up.But I'm not 100% sure I'd trust that frame afterwards,close enough to another weld aswell to be putting so much heat through it by welding.Probally a safer bet to take the money and get rid

I have contacted two people that are reasonably confident that it can be repaired, but they both need to see it first before committing and will not offer any sort of guarantee and let's be honest, I don't blame them!

The cable entry hole will also end up being covered over with weld, which would complicate the cable routing thereafter.

Its most certainly a stress fracture, as you say it's not touched the weld at all. So, if the side that is fractured is repaired and generally beefed up, I suspect that it would add more load to the other side and cause a potential stress related problem in the long term?

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm guessing you don't review bikes for a living? :smile:
No, I don’t have the requisite floury turn of phrase or the capacity for bull****.

Jameshow

Veteran
Butting reduces the weight without compromising the strength of the tube in question, as it retains the thickness where it is needed. It doesn't alter the compliance / springiness / damping properties of the metal involved.

we really need a horseshit icon adding to the Like button pop-up selection.

the post below is prime example....

Of course it does! As wafter says it alters the springiness of a tube. Makes the bike lighter too. Try a 18-23 frame and then try a 531 frame chalk and cheese.
If you think otherwise then you know more than the past 100 years of steel bike building in the UK!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Of course it does! As wafter says it alters the springiness of a tube. Makes the bike lighter too. Try a 18-23 frame and then try a 531 frame chalk and cheese.
If you think otherwise then you know more than the past 100 years of steel bike building in the UK!

are 18-23 and 531 tubing exactly the alloy mix?

FishFright

More wheels than sense
It's just that I'm finding it difficult to believe that a stiff triangle frame in either material will give a better more comfortable ride than the other. I won't call it utter rubbish as you did but a fork and it's geometry it's going to have more influence on ride comfort than frame material.
Plus there are too many other variables at work here, geometry, tyres & pressures, wheels, to categorically say it's all down to frame material.
If you're happy to believe that it's fine but I'll reserve judgement untill someone can come up with A to B comparison that proves it.

Think of it as a flexible triangle and it'll make more sense.

Here's a good example. I bought my van nic frame and swapped all the parts from an 853 rourke and the the VN rides with less fatigue and is much smoother over poor road surfaces. This difference was night and day. Same wheels , tyres , saddle , bars , groupset and pedals.

Adam4868

Guru
I have contacted two people that are reasonably confident that it can be repaired, but they both need to see it first before committing and will offer any sort of guarantee and let's be honest, I don't blame them!

The cable entry hole will also end up being covered over with weld, which would complicate the cable routing thereafter.

Its most certainly a stress fracture, as you say it's not touched the weld at all. So, if the side that is fractured is repaired and generally beefed up, I suspect that it would add more load to the other side and cause a potential stress related problem in the long term?
Seam or weld I'd be more confident with...but unless you were going down @Ian H route and replacing I wouldn't.Looks a good job Ian and a decent enough price ! Stress crack like that I wouldn't be 100% confident after,I mean why's it gone there ? Weak point or bad luck ? You don't leather the bike about which tells me there's a reason don't you think?
Depending on price of renewing the stays and welding back up you'd have to way up against taking there offer and moving on to something new.
Never get sentimental with a piece of metal...unless you adored it,it's let you down.Treat yourself to something new 😁

Did someone say CF was unrepairable?

There's lots of companies proving otherwise.

Adam4868

Guru
I reckon there's a lot of bike physcology about...love my CF bike and when I put it away in December and got my Ally winter one out I hated it.Different set up and felt heavy blah blah.Couple of weeks on it and I love it again.
I built a lovely Ribble Carbon up years ago,l,bought a frame cheap of someone,nice bike decent wheels and groupset,I never liked it because it was red ! Can't stand the colour.
Fitness plays a bigger role than any material or groupset etc ..I'm lacking in that at the moment !

november4

The main thing to take away from this thread is that I would not touch anything Kinesis with a barge pole.........anything can happen to any product but customer service is everything.........fixing a low failure rate is the right thing to do, and good for brand

Someone in management needs to have the balls and backbone to absorb the small cost of a replacement frame

Good luck op

Adam4868

Guru
Never gave too much thought about Titanium frames before.But it makes you think that the biggest selling point from retailer's seems to be it's robust,frame for life etc...
"With that in mind, many manufacturers will offer a lifetime warranty on titanium frames to the original owner, giving you peace of mind that should you run into any production issues further down the line they’ll have you covered."
I'd be putting this to Kinesis who from there sales spiel seem to think the same without actually saying it !

Top Bottom