Kirriemuir Audaxes: 100k & 300k, Sat 5 June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
HLaB said:
I'm not in prime condition but if the date suit, I'd like to be there; keep us posted. It could be the next forum ride :wacko:

You might get quite a good turnout for that :ohmy:
If you were to devise the route with a (BIG) shortcut for those not wanting/able to do the whole lot, with the same finish area, you might get the rest of us joining in too :biggrin::tongue: ...

I think I mentioned a similar idea for the hilly Ochils ride (there was a map somewhere on one of the many CC Ecosse threads), which would be reachable for the southern/central & Grampian Ecossers by public transport ...

T

OP
OP
eck

eck

Über Member
Telemark said:
You might get quite a good turnout for that :ohmy:
If you were to devise the route with a (BIG) shortcut for those not wanting/able to do the whole lot, with the same finish area, you might get the rest of us joining in too :biggrin::tongue: ...
T

BIG shortcut? Easy peasy. Instead of heading north after Banchory, just turn left along Deeside to Braemar. Cuts 100k of scenery (the best bits)from the route, and turns it into the Deeside Loop, q.v.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
eck said:
BIG shortcut? Easy peasy. Instead of heading north after Banchory, just turn left along Deeside to Braemar. Cuts 100k of scenery (the best bits)from the route, and turns it into the Deeside Loop, q.v.

If I read your post correctly, you cut 100k off 300k ... that still leaves 200k :biggrin:
Is there a map somewhere for the Deeside loop (I think I've seen it but can't remember where
EDIT: found a map for the Deeside Loop...[nowhere left for further shortcuts - unless one wants to mountain bike across somewhere].
Not that I am currently contemplating a 200k, mind :ohmy:.
I might try an official 100k one of these days ...

T

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
satans budgie said:
Just to add to the confusion I'm planning to have a meander around the Snow Roads in 2011. However, I will be adopting a more stately approach to the ride, taking time to eat and drink on route which is more than I did on the Deeside loop.
'Ride Management' is one of the keys to audaxing/doing audax rides. I was very poor at this on most of my earlier rides.

Noodley was kind enough to get me round this year and I unashamedly told him I was intending to pick his brains and follow his guidance/lead on when/how long to stop at the various controls. It helped that he knows the route well enough to know which cafes have slow service and which are quicker :tongue: ! Having a 20-30 min break from riding makes a big difference and can be really revitalising. Knowing what to eat is good too - soup/roll/cake or fatty fry-up ? (Our winter RV rides are good practice xx()

Pacing is also key. I heard that some people doing the Deeside Loop felt so good after Banchory that they went tearing off, only to blow up 60k down the road :wacko:. Sometimes it is good to be a steady 'plodder', though a 'quick plodder' is better :biggrin:.

As I said in another post, there are only 'Completed' and 'DNF' for audax rides. Other than personal challenge/satisfaction bragging rights ? :ohmy: there is no difference.
Remember, an Audax is not a race - it's about going round a specific route within certain time constraints - neither too fast nor too slow. The rider who finishes 1min after the final Control opens has "Completed the Ride" just the same as the rider who comes in 1min before the Control closes.
Naturally we often set ourselves goals/targets - to ride all the way (no walking up the BIG hills :biggrin:); a certain time; before dark; alongside/before XXX. It takes some time and experience to learn what I call Ride Management and I still have a lot to learn. Of course, one cannot buy that experience ...

To Complete is success.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Ooooops :tongue:

I'm clearly trying to sound as if I know what I am talking about xx(.

Ach, just ignore the previous post and go and ride the things :wacko::ohmy::bicycle::biggrin:

Telemark said:
If I read your post correctly, you cut 100k off 300k ... that still leaves 200k :biggrin:
Is there a map somewhere for the Deeside loop (I think I've seen it but can't remember where
EDIT: found a map for the Deeside Loop...[nowhere left for further shortcuts - unless one wants to mountain bike across somewhere].
Not that I am currently contemplating a 200k, mind :ohmy:.
I might try an official 100k one of these days ...

T
Its a loop, just go left at the start, rather than right; that's a pretty big shortcut, around 195 km ;-)

scook94

Veteran
scoosh said:
Ooooops :tongue:

I'm clearly trying to sound as if I know what I am talking about xx(.

Ach, just ignore the previous post and go and ride the things :wacko::ohmy::bicycle::biggrin:

Sounds like you're the ideal person to lead the CC procession next year. Thanks for volunteering! :biggrin:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
scook94 said:
Sounds like you're the ideal person to lead the CC procession next year. Thanks for volunteering! xx(
Eh ??? I thought it was to be this year - say after the Ken Laidlaw, when Noodley is feeling ready to go the whole way :wacko:. No point losing all this season's fitness, is there ? :ohmy:

:biggrin: :tongue:

scook94

Veteran
scoosh said:
Eh ??? I thought it was to be this year - say after the Ken Laidlaw, when Noodley is feeling ready to go the whole way ;). No point losing all this season's fitness, is there ? :laugh:

;) :blush:

Cool, even better! Sometime in September would be ideal. Are you not doing the audax itself next May then?

Seamab

scoosh said:
Eh ??? I thought it was to be this year - say after the Ken Laidlaw, when Noodley is feeling ready to go the whole way :blush:. No point losing all this season's fitness, is there ? :evil:

:ohmy: :biggrin:

Lights will be definitely be required if left until late Aug/Sept

Seamab

scoosh said:
'Ride Management' is one of the keys to audaxing/doing audax rides. I was very poor at this on most of my earlier rides.

Pacing is also key. I heard that some people doing the Deeside Loop felt so good after Banchory that they went tearing off, only to blow up 60k down the road :evil:. Sometimes it is good to be a steady 'plodder', though a 'quick plodder' is better :ohmy:.
Just to echo Scooshs thoughts here. 200K and especially 300K is a long way for audax newbies - time needs to be taken to refuel and keep hydrated.

Being a newbie myself and frankly crap at ride management i struggled at points on my first 200K and especially on my first 150K where we shot off a rapid pace and were getting to all the controls before time then paid for it at the end.
It's not a race so at some point you may realise that to go the distance in some kind of comfort then it may be better to go at your own pace rather than someone elses faster pace even if it means riding solo for a while.

I did better (in that when i finished i was not completely wasted) on the Deeside Loop. I kept away from the really fast ones at the start and found a group going at a reasonable pace before losing them on the Cairn O Mount. I had a good sit down feed at Ballater and a gel in advance of Glen Shee (which was still a struggle)then a good drink at the Spittal before a rapid finish. I made myself drink more than usual all the way round and drank more than usual before the start. I was really pleased by finishing strongly rather than grovelling for the end to come asap

I've still got a long long way to go to improve my ride management but at least the process has started.

Top Bottom