Kit list how does it sound?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
oldfatfool

oldfatfool

Guru
I took a length of waterproof twine....it was used as a washing line, tied to my bike at night and attached to my arm in a dodgy area and helped keep a front pannier on the bike..weighs nothing at all...you only need 2m.

spare guy rope for both those jobs :thumbsup:

Was in 2 minds with the wproofs, have a good pair but they are weighty, and over a long distance will probably sweat so decided to just take the warmers and overshoes.

cnb

Veteran
I had a tyre split on one tour through france The good news was that i was carrying a spare..

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
You are carrying too much IMO. France has plenty of bike shops, general stores and supermarkets, so you dont need too much.

Will you be cycling at night at all - why would you on a tour? If not, ditch the lights and take a head torch. To be cycling legal in France at night you need AFAIK a non-flashing rear light and a reflective jacket to the requisite standard.

I would forget the chain and take a few links and chain splitter. The chain is a big unnecessary load.
2 inner tubes not 3 (you can always buy more) and something to act as a tyre boot.
I wouldnt bother with brake blocks, but 2 (a pair) at most.
I wouldnt bother with overshoes. If the rain is really persistent your feet still get wet and even at altitude where it may be cold, you're not exposing them to cold going downhill for very long.
Just mitts, but take some of those very thin catering gloves to double up as long fingered gloves if it gets very cold and for repairs.
Hospital style handwash gel. You can pop behind a hedge if caught short and have clean hands afterwards
If you have legwarmers why the tights?
Bowl, no plate. Kitchen/swiss army knife not a table knife.
No pillow - bundle up clothes.

You are taking a gps and maps. I'd just take a gps and buy maps if my unit fails.

Whenever I'm leaving home for a few days I wrap a couple of metres of duck/duct tape around a pen/pencil. Weighs next to nothing and has proved to be very useful on a number of occasions. Probably even more versatile and useful than zip ties.

HTH

Brains

Legendary Member
For three weeks cycle camping in July, highest point 2800m

Clothing:
Waterproof Jacket
Overshoes Delete
Gillett delete
Arm and Leg warmers delete
Buff
cap& Helmet one or the other
2 x padded cycling shorts, I'd only take one
1 x padded liner
1 x long zipoff trousers
1 x w/proof Baggy short You only need one pair of shorts, so maybe get rid of the cycling shorts
thermal tights in France in Summer ? - DELETE!
swimming trunks or double up with the shorts
sandals- go with Teva's
spd trainers
2 x compression vests Vests ????
1 x l/s HH shirt
1 x casual shirt
2 x s/s l/w cycling jersey
1 x l/s cycling jacket/ Jersey - Jacket yes, Jersey no
long + short fingered gloves Short fingered only
Cycling glasses & Normal glasses

Tent
Ground sheet
inflatable mat
sleeping bag
silk liner
earplugs
blow up pillow
Pegs
Micro light

emergency spokes max 3
spare brake blocks (4 pairs) if you must, take a single pair, but I'd buy more if/when you need them
elastic bands old inner tube, cut off the valve, makes good padding (and laki bands)
zip ties
3 x inner tubes + repair kit ONE inner tube, buy more if/when you need them
pump
tape Gaffa, on a small roll
spare chain + 2 quick links A pair of power links will get you to the next shop
chain lube
spare guy rope String will do, or trim washing line or boot lace
arselard
multitool
toiletries + m/f towel
Showergel
Shaving Kit
Bog roll
lip balm
clothes washing soap
washing line

plastic plate and bowl
Knife/ fork/ spoon combo
I don't see the stove/Fuel here ??? No point in plate etc if not cooking
camera + spare battery and memory card
Phone + spare battery
Gps + solar charger
lights + 1 set spare batteries
cable lock
Map, pad and pencil

emergency gels
Isotronic water tablets + sterilising tabs
1st aid kit
wet wipes
sun cream
Mossy repellant
cash/ card

Hydropak - Water bottles ? Much less hassel and easier to carry

2 x Panniers
1 x Ortelieb stuff sack
Front bar bag with map case
2 cloth stuff sacks for clean/dirty clothing
compass
loads of maps
books/Kindle
Bike cover ?
saddle cover ? (If Brookes)
Swiss Army or Opinel knife (lunch time with the baguette and salami)
A couple of spare screws
a Tyre boot
surgeons gloves for repairs
NBT2 ?

Anything missing? Too much?

OP
OP
oldfatfool

oldfatfool

Guru
So to get this straight most of you would not bother with overshoes, arm and leg warmers or a Gillett for riding in the Alps on 30km descents??????????

Thanks for the input guys but I think I will ignore the bulk of it.

Brains

Legendary Member
So to get this straight most of you would not bother with overshoes, arm and leg warmers or a Gillett for riding in the Alps on 30km descents??????????

Thanks for the input guys but I think I will ignore the bulk of it.
ERrrr..... No, we have never taken any of that type of kit, if you are doing a 30k decent in the morning then just put on the wet weather gear, and if the fingers get cold, put on a pair of socks on your hands.

Most of the long descents tend to be in the afternoon, when it is often very warm once you get off the top.

Bottom line is 'every ounce counts' you really don't want to take any stuff that you really don't have to have.
If you take too much kit you won't be doing the 30k descents as you won't have the ability to get that high in the first place

OP
OP
oldfatfool

oldfatfool

Guru
If you take too much kit you won't be doing the 30k descents as you won't have the ability to get that high in the first place

I've been in the Alps in July with a blizzard blowing,and you class a Kindle and a stove & fuel as more essential items than gloves, warmers, Gillett and overshoes?

OP
OP
oldfatfool

oldfatfool

Guru
I apologise if you have seen it, but the Cycletourer website is a mine of useful information, including stuff on the gear to take.

http://www.cycletourer.co.uk/cycletouring/cyclegear.shtml

Thanks I had seen it and adapted it to what I believed suited my terrain. ie Altitude bang in the warmers.Long descents possibly in the wet, bang in spare brake pads.

On the whole I would rather carry a bit extra than need something I have left behind especially for the sake of a few grams, or spending 1/2 a day looking for a bike shop.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thanks I had seen it and adapted it to what I believed suited my terrain. ie Altitude bang in the warmers.Long descents possibly in the wet, bang in spare brake pads.

On the whole I would rather carry a bit extra than need something I have left behind especially for the sake of a few grams, or spending 1/2 a day looking for a bike shop.
Fair dos. Have a great trip!

I've been in the Alps in July with a blizzard blowing,and you class a Kindle and a stove & fuel as more essential items than gloves, warmers, Gillett and overshoes?

ditto - not the place to be under dressed even in the middle of summer - anyone who says otherwise has never been there when the weather turns or descended from a big one on a nice day

Edit

ps - your kit list looks a little light by my standards

Top Bottom