Kit list how does it sound?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

just jim

A Kindle is a good thing as long as you keep the cover on, and not discard it to save weight... :blush:
I am always learning through each tour, though never been on one long enough to start ditching stuff as I go.
I have been trying to pair down the weight over the years but it takes money usually spent on daily living.
The best things I have spent the wedge on are:

Macpac microlight (now feeling very cramped)
Cumulus down bag
Thermarest neo air (not sure I trust it though)
MSR titanium pot and mug

Despite this I do not think weight is the issue either.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Having done a fair amount of hiking in the Alps at the same sort of altitudes as you describe I'd take some warm gear as well. When camping it is a good idea to make sure you are warm enough as once you get cold it can be difficult to warm up again, especially if you are not taking cooking equipment to make warm drinks.

Lots of plastic bags is always good advice. A compass would be good idea as it gives a decent nudge in the right direction if you get lost in a town one-way system (DAHIKT). Also Some emergency food (I take nature valley bars) on top of the gels, for if you arrive in town and everything is shut for the night. I wouldn't take the sterilisation tablets, but they weigh next to nothing anyway.

The usual advice is to lay out all your kit and all your money, then take half the kit and twice the money :biggrin:

I'm packing for a two week tour around northern Scotland tonight so I'll have a think about it a bit more later.

OP
OP
oldfatfool

oldfatfool

Guru
Thanks for the constructive.

I have now removed the compression tops and tights but gone back to the w/proof trousers. I have a compass, eyemask and earplugs. Will be taking a few gels and 4:1 powder as well as a bag of homemade cereal bar. Also planning on taking a tub of muesli and a malt loaf as well as a few bannanas (first day is a Sunday).

Removed the chain (I suppose a new chain will last 1,000 miles and if it wears the cassette then so be it, and if one chain is going to break the next is as likely)taking a couple of quick links.

Removed an inner so down to 2 and a repair kit.

Down to 3 pairs of brake blocks, probably overkill but if the descents are wet then rather carry a few grams than have to hunt for an LBS

I think the Kindle may get re-packed, not sure as I like to think I will take it steady and absorb local culture on an evening (in reality will probably set off like a bull in a china shop and end up at the campsite by 1pm which will turn out to be in the back of beyond:blush:)

Taking a small mp3 player only the size of a memory stick and runs for 18 hours on 1AA

The steri tabs are to clean out the bladder on the hydropak as much as anything.

doog

The OP making early arrangements to get his kit to the start of that first climb.^_^

tibet-mount-everest-pack-mule-convoy-comp-806

OP
OP
oldfatfool

oldfatfool

Guru
LOL Some people seem to be of the opinion I should take more, some less, I figure I can't be far off.

mark

I think the Kindle may get re-packed, not sure as I like to think I will take it steady and absorb local culture on an evening (in reality will probably set off like a bull in a china shop and end up at the campsite by 1pm which will turn out to be in the back of beyond:blush:)

Taking a small mp3 player only the size of a memory stick and runs for 18 hours on 1AA

The steri tabs are to clean out the bladder on the hydropak as much as anything.

A netbook or tablet computer (like an iPad) with Kindle software installed could fill the functions of mp3 player and Kindle together, and give you Wi-Fi capability as well. It's nice to be able to check e-mail, check your bank and credit card balances, etc. online. Free or cheap Wi-Fi is getting to be more common than public computers for that sort of thing. Absorbing local culture is nice, but sometimes you just want to read a book, play a game or listen to your own music.

willem

Über Member
As some people know, I like light gear. I now once again know why: I have just returned from a two week trip in the UK, the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany that was principally for work, but also mostly done on the bike. So apart from the outdoor gear, this time there was also a business suit, matching shoes, a bunch of nicely ironed shirts and a tie, a computer, papers, etc. I did not weigh the stuff, but it must have been some 25 kg, or perhaps even more. The bike was a lot more sluggish, and most importantly as soon as the road went up I felt myself held back by the climbing. It really was annoying as it destroyed the flow of the riding. So once again, I am convinced that even though heavier loads can be done, the ride is not so great, and all the more so if the going is up and down. But I had a nice trip.
So do I think you should leave home a lot of your Alpine gear? I do not think so. Wet and cold is a nasty and dangerous combination, so I would take rain trousers and light overshoes (my Vaude ones are cheap and light) - I needed them both in Belgium, and high up in the mountains they could be life savers. The spare chain is unnecessary, indeed, and I would only take two tubes (but four brake blocks). I take a Trangia. If your gear is compact enough it should still fit in two rear panniers, so you could leave home the front rack and panniers. But that is about it. And I don't take books or e readers, tablets and the like (unless on business, of course).
Ride safely,
Willem

OP
OP
oldfatfool

oldfatfool

Guru
etc etc
Ride safely,
Willem
Cheer Willem

A netbook or tablet computer (like an iPad) with Kindle software installed could fill the functions of mp3 player and Kindle together, and give you Wi-Fi capability as well. It's nice to be able to check e-mail, check your bank and credit card balances, etc. online. Free or cheap Wi-Fi is getting to be more common than public computers for that sort of thing. Absorbing local culture is nice, but sometimes you just want to read a book, play a game or listen to your own music.
Kindle will hold its charge for weeks compared to a netbook, not sure if the free experimental browser thingy on it still works in France on the 3G but if it does then its a bonus

just jim

Sorry to sidetrack the thread a little, but a Kindle is a lot more pleasurable to read than a netbook or tablet, and it's charge last a lot longer. Now you can plough through the complete works of Proust if you get rained off for two weeks.
You could take a smartphone or a netbook for free wifi. In a few years I expect e-readers to get much thinner and lighter, unlike myself.

I'd go with the Kindle + smartphone combo over a netbook/pad anytime. When needed I can charge the Kindle and phone from my hub but not the netbook/pad due to the energy requirments of these electronic items. The Kindle will go for ages before needing charging anyway, carries as many books as you want and is an absolute pleasure to read over a backlit screen. The smarptphone I use for occasional blogging, emails, phone calls, tests and position finding.

That's just me on my 5-7 night UK tours though.

Good luck deciding on your kit

lordloveaduck

The number to Dominos Pizza. If it takes longer than 30 mins it's free. That way you wont need to worry about all the cooking gear.
Another brilliant idea by me:thanks:.

(I also designed the Olympic ticket allocation system:wacko:)

Top Bottom