Kit list how does it sound?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have no idea at all what is essential to you - for a flavour of what is essential to me try my CGOB below - as someone else said somewhere else "weight is not critical on a touring bike"

OP
OP
oldfatfool

oldfatfool

Guru
The only things I can see that have gone in and out of my panniers are:

1) w/p over trousers. I bought (at great expense) some attack X waterproofs. I have no doubt they work. BUT they are heavy, and my thinking is along the lines of, if it is raining when I set off in them then in a full day they will sweat so just an extra layer to dry, and if it starts raining then the underlayers will be wet by the time I decide it is bad enough to warrant putting them on!! Still debating due to their insulating wind proofing qualities as opposed to wet leg warmers/tights.

2) Head torch. I have no plans on spending much time awake in the tent reading etc and plan on fairly early nights to facilitate early mornings (used to being in bed before 10pm and up at 6am) I figure it will still be reasonably light at these times in early July. Will have the front Knogg 'jelly' light off the bike for a back up)

3) Stove. I have a Trangia, even bought the l/w burner stand but with kettle and one pan and fuel and fuel bottle it still comes in at over 1Kg. I did think along the lines of cooking pasta soup stew etc etc as well as morning coffee etc etc. Thinking about it though I don't usually bother with a hot drink on a morning, and cooking in a small tent is back and neck breaking at best (loads of practice as a venture scout leader). So I was working on the theory that if I can find food to buy to cook, I can find food to buy to eat.

If any of these sound like serious errors in judgement I am open to being swayed.

The only things I can see that have gone in and out of my panniers are:

1) w/p over trousers.
2) Head torch.
3) Stove.

^_^ This is what I meant - three of the things that I would would regard as essentials and never leave home without - but your rationale is sound (well maybe not about the wp trousers but you can get away with a decent pair of ordinary longs)

andy_spacey

Über Member
I am in north Spain now, Santiago and only 4 days ago it was 40c on the road but yesterday i had my over shoes on all day. rain all day and dropping down 3000ft is cold, You don't need extra WARM cloths you just put your off the bike ones on if its that cold But that only happens when you stop peddling or get off the bike

doog

:laugh:

Spent much time in the Alps have you?

A fair bit but have only cycled the Pyrenees and have experienced some bad weather at times. I tend to double up on clothes to save weight, so the Ron hills and baselayer I wear in the evening if its chilly (or the mossies are biting ) go on if its a cold summit or descent. To be fair, usually its a layer or two and keep the shorts on.

If you do get a cold summit you will be amazed at how things warm up as you descend at this time of year. Are you still doing the big first day?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Whenever I'm leaving home for a few days I wrap a couple of metres of duck/duct tape around a pen/pencil. Weighs next to nothing and has proved to be very useful on a number of occasions. Probably even more versatile and useful than zip ties.

HTH

I wrap the duct tape around my bike pump body. Two weeks ago I was very grateful for its presence as I managed to fashion a tyre boot from the tape when an inner tube exploded and ripped the tyre sidewall from the bead for about three inches.

mark

A small roll of duct tape can be used to repair tires, panniers, tents, clothing and numerous other items. Start with new, good quality chain, cassette, tires, shifter/brake cables and brake pads. Bring 2 pair brake pads, 1 spare tube, patch kit and one FiberFix spoke replacement or equivalent. Broken spokes are very unusual with properly built wheels with good quality spokes and rims.

On my last tour (6 weeks, Tuscany-Corsica-Sardinia) I got very tired of restaurants and cafes, the Trangia and the cookset were worth carrying for that reason alone. don't cook in your tent if you can avoid it, if you have to sit in the tent and put the tent just outside the door.

Baggy shorts can double as swim trunks.

I wish I had brought overshoes on my last tour.

ASC1951

Guru
So to get this straight most of you would not bother with overshoes, arm and leg warmers or a Gillett for riding in the Alps on 30km descents??????????

Thanks for the input guys but I think I will ignore the bulk of it.
I've cycled a lot in the Alps and Pyrenees - and Spain in December - and wouldn't take half the foul weather gear you specify. I certainly wouldn't bother with overtrousers, legwarmers or overshoes in July.

If you are so experienced that you can ignore everyone who is telling you not to bother with the kitchen sink, what the chuff are you asking for advice for in the first place?

I've cycled a lot in the Alps and Pyrenees - and Spain in December - and wouldn't take half the foul weather gear you specify. I certainly wouldn't bother with overtrousers, legwarmers or overshoes in July.

I would certainly bother - the first time I cycled over Isere was on July4th - something like 35° most of the way up and a snow storm for the last 400m of vertical - many times in the summer in the French, Italian and Austrian Alps, the Jura and the French Central Massif I have been caught in some monumentus thunderstorms on the tops - not nice in the open and was to say the least not very warm at the top of Galibre one summer afternoon - nor for that matter following the snow ploughs across the mountains of Northern Greece.

When you are in the mountains you cannot take the weather for granted.

OP
OP
oldfatfool

oldfatfool

Guru

If you are so experienced that you can ignore everyone who is telling you not to bother with the kitchen sink, what the chuff are you asking for advice for in the first place?

I was enquiring more about things I might have left off the list tbh as this is my first cycle tour.

I have a fair amount of experience of the weather conditions in the Alps in the summer months to know how hot and cold it can be and to know anyone in this area whatever the time of year is foolhardy not to carry cold weather gear.

This was taken on the Fluela (2383M) in late June

flue.jpg

A friend of mine stayed in the hotel stilfserjoch in July whilst we where in Bormio, glorious weather in Bormio, he rang to say he would catch us up, he was waiting for a snow plow.

So I thank you for your 'advice' and comments but I am much more grateful for the fact I am not totally reliant on them!!

Top Bottom