Kit nicknames? (not including names for you bikes or what you call stuff when it doesn't work)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Think I might call gels 'white elephants' - bought two six packs a couple of months ago and haven't used a single one in spite of having them with me on the bike. Tempted to have one as a sauce on icecream to see what they taste like.
I was tempted by a super duper caffeinated gel offered to me during the London Marathon a few years ago. Vile stuff, I couldn’t get the taste out of my mouth. Fortunately, I passed a pub shortly after and a kind hearted spectator gave me his pint 🍺👍

Punkawallah

Über Member
Have recently taken to calling the Renown the ‘Scarlet Hussy’ - does that count?

Only bought it to ride over the Summer, and the Strumpet is still here :-) Don’t know what will happen when the Galaxy finds out . . .

Twilkes

Guru
how many folk do you thing get the reference?
just wondering.

No idea, it's purely accidental because it has straps and I put it on, but thinking about it the neighbours across the road with the pampas grass have been visiting a lot more often...

Alex321

Veteran
Interesting that you also say you have had bursts - has happened to me 2 or 3 times so I won't be buying any more. Especially at a pound or more a pop. They must be damn delicate - I typically have them inside tough drybag on top of the rack when touring or on a long ride - luckily always inside a ziplock bag as well.

I suspect that may be a byproduct of them being deigned to be easy to take out of your pocket and "eat" one-handed while riding. If they are that easy to get into, then hey are more likely to open when not intended.

I must be wittier than I thought.
where's the pun?

They are bursting (popping) while on your rack, and then you say "at a pound or more a pop"

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Have recently taken to calling the Renown the ‘Scarlet Hussy’ - does that count?

Only bought it to ride over the Summer, and the Strumpet is still here :-) Don’t know what will happen when the Galaxy finds out . . .
Rides don't count though they could make an entertaining thread of their own

I suspect that may be a byproduct of them being deigned to be easy to take out of your pocket and "eat" one-handed while riding. If they are that easy to get into, then hey are more likely to open when not intended.
You are probably right - another weight weenie thing trying to ruin my cycling then.

I bought a really nice endura gilet a while ago - almost didn't - there were reports of the zip being a problem - later occured to me that these reports were from roadies who wanted to unzip on the fly. It's not good at that but is a very good strong zip. Now one of my favourite bits of clothing for general and cycling use. £15.

Big T

Guru
My wife and I call a neck warmer/buff - a “durka“. I’ve no idea why or when it started. It may have been after watching “Team America - World Police”!

Last edited:
Cycling Helmet = Twat hat , cos I think I look a right Twat in any sort of cycling helmet.
My mate at work refers to my Lycra shorts as budgie smugglers just to annoy the hell out of me. ( hes been doing it for 8 years )

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Probably a common one, but I call my helmets rain cover a shower cap. Or if in puerile mode, condom.
Which makes me wonder if the weight &/or aero obsessed use a condom stretched over their lid?

Top Bottom