Kitchen Gadgets That Actually Work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
I have a boiled egg cutter, it has a spring loaded weight that drops down onto a cutter that cuts the top off perfectly

Attachments

• 3349c5a1377c13bda3a38fadaa8e703e.jpg
    3349c5a1377c13bda3a38fadaa8e703e.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 4

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I’ve just opened a can of tuna and it reminded me of how absolutely bloody fantastic my can opener is.

I’ve owned many over the years, both electric and manual, and they’ve ranged from downright dangerous to mediocre at best.

18 months ago I bought the following can opener and since that day my can opening dramas have ceased.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07464F5WN/

As can openers go it’s fairly uninspiring to look at, but it opens cans with ease. Not only that, but it leaves no sharp edges at all and if you don’t use all of the can’s contents the lid can be pushed back on again to form a relatively good seal.

And in addition to all that can opening goodness - it has a beer bottle opener as well (I’ve been told that it can also remove the tops from some non-alcoholic beverage bottles as well).

What’s not to like?

Note: It can’t immunise you against Covid or cure 3rd (or 1st) world debt - but by God it does open cans.

P.S. I have no affiliation to the manufacturer or seller of this product. Just an aversion to crap kitchen gadgets that don’t work very well.

I asked about can openers recently and this wasn't mentioned, so I've gone with your recommendation and ordered one. So, no pressure then. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Tenacious Sloth

Hmmmm... that’s sorted my Christmas gifts for the current Swindon Town team sorted then.

I asked about can openers recently and this wasn't mentioned, so I've gone with your recommendation and ordered one. So, no pressure then. :rolleyes:

You will not be sorry.

I have a pair of those but I've only known why they have serrations for about 60 seconds.

Thanks.

Same here. :smile:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
A silicone egg white separator.
The size of a tea strainer, so sits happily in a drawer with other utensils, but when needed, brilliant.

PK99

Legendary Member
A silicone egg white separator.
The size of a tea strainer, so sits happily in a drawer with other utensils, but when needed, brilliant.

An unnecessary solution looking for a problem! ^_^

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Microplane - light years ahead of other graters
Thermomix - as good as it gets
Bamix - nothing comes close to it in the blender category

I like cheap vic knives, these are basically as good as you coud ever need in a houshold
I like cheap japanese synthetic stones to sharpen them - a pair lasts through a lifetime
Heavy cast iron pans - take care of it and it will serve your children
Heavy end grain chopping board - same as with iron pans
Cheap asian rice cookers - perfect rice every time, no looking
Cheap Chinese store iron woks - can take a beating
Paella pan - a good one will see you out

I have a domestic version of a garage strap wrench.

Handy, because it can do everything from a pop bottle to a large jam jar.
pic?
My usual desperate ploy is rubber gloves.
If that doesn't work punch holes in the lid and replace with one of the spares I keep of common jars.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I bought one of these recently for the Campervan (which has no oven).
https://www.lakeland.co.uk/31945/Standard-Remoska-Electric-Cooker-with-Glass-Lid-2L
It's brilliant!
Been 'trying it out' at home and can't stop using it, to the point I'll probably get the larger 'Tria' at later date for home use.
Whilst it goes against my 'no Teflon' rule it's too good not to use.
It's hugely flexible, needs little attention, is clean in use. It takes a bit longer to cook stuff, but you soon accommodate and learn not to fuss and to leave it to do its stuff.
Bread, cakes, stews/curries etc, roasting joints, rice cooking, reheating croissants, endless possibilities and very little power consumption.

Top Bottom