Kitchen Gadgets That Actually Work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bought one of these recently for the Campervan (which has no oven).
https://www.lakeland.co.uk/31945/Standard-Remoska-Electric-Cooker-with-Glass-Lid-2L
It's brilliant!
Been 'trying it out' at home and can't stop using it, to the point I'll probably get the larger 'Tria' at later date for home use.
Whilst it goes against my 'no Teflon' rule it's too good not to use.
It's hugely flexible, needs little attention, is clean in use. It takes a bit longer to cook stuff, but you soon accommodate and learn not to fuss and to leave it to do its stuff.
Bread, cakes, stews/curries etc, roasting joints, rice cooking, reheating croissants, endless possibilities and very little power consumption.
cripes they have shot up in price - am pretty sure they used to cost way way less in the UK. I thought their origin was in communist era czech kitchens - should have picked one up in my wanderings there - I bet they were cheap as, er, chips. By the by I think they were first brought into this country by the mum of an ex friend of mine who had got out of Czechoslavakia on the Kindertransport. Now has a title I think, though not for services to kitchencraft.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
cripes they have shot up in price - am pretty sure they used to cost way way less in the UK. I thought their origin was in communist era czech kitchens - should have picked one up in my wanderings there - I bet they were cheap as, er, chips. By the by I think they were first brought into this country by the mum of an ex friend of mine who had got out of Czechoslavakia on the Kindertransport. Now has a title I think, though not for services to kitchencraft.
True, though there are similar available at lower prices from other manufacturers. I guess the payback at home is in the very low electric consumption and the fact that I'm not using gas either.

True, though there are similar available at lower prices from other manufacturers. I guess the payback at home is in the very low electric consumption and the fact that I'm not using gas either.
wouldn't be surprised if they can still be had cheap in eastern parts (tho spose duty might be an issue come the new year) - puts me in mind of that dirt cheap Soviet mini camera, the Lomo?, that post the wall coming down some folks remarketed at a substantially higher price.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Not sure what you mean by this - have you got a link?

I cook a lot of rice so may be useful.
Just any rice cooker will most likely do.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Russell-Hobbs-19750-Cooker-Steamer/dp/B00ABYI0IE?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_marketplace&th=1&psc=1

This one should feed family of 8 in a go
Might want to choose something smaller, though you can obviously cook for 2 in the big one
The obvious advantage is you can put the rice an hour beforehand and keep it on hold while you prep the rest of the meal

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I bought one of these recently for the Campervan (which has no oven).
https://www.lakeland.co.uk/31945/Standard-Remoska-Electric-Cooker-with-Glass-Lid-2L
It's brilliant!
Been 'trying it out' at home and can't stop using it, to the point I'll probably get the larger 'Tria' at later date for home use.
Whilst it goes against my 'no Teflon' rule it's too good not to use.
It's hugely flexible, needs little attention, is clean in use. It takes a bit longer to cook stuff, but you soon accommodate and learn not to fuss and to leave it to do its stuff.
Bread, cakes, stews/curries etc, roasting joints, rice cooking, reheating croissants, endless possibilities and very little power consumption.

Would have to agree, the Remoska is one of the few kitchen gadgets we have bought which has not needed up consigned to a cupboard, after a couple of uses.

Like you, we bought one to use in our Motorhome, but, we find it so useful, it is often used "at home" too ;)

OP
OP
Tenacious Sloth
Just any rice cooker will most likely do.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Russell-Hobbs-19750-Cooker-Steamer/dp/B00ABYI0IE?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_marketplace&th=1&psc=1

This one should feed family of 8 in a go
Might want to choose something smaller, though you can obviously cook for 2 in the big one
The obvious advantage is you can put the rice an hour beforehand and keep it on hold while you prep the rest of the meal

Ah ok. I have something similar. I thought the word ‘asian’ in the description might indicate something different.

I’ve found that my electric rice cooker tends to form a slight skin around the bottom. It may be that I didn’t rinse/soak the rice thoroughly enough beforehand. I may give it another go - if I can find it in the loft. :laugh:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

I have not put this to the test, but, I believe they can be bought more cheaply in mainland Europe, here, Lakeland appear to have a monopoly on supply. Buying in mainland Europe does mean you would have a European plug of course, shame we were not in EU long enough to have that bit of idiocy standardised (IMHO, of course) ;)

OP
OP
Tenacious Sloth
I have not put this to the test, but, I believe they can be bought more cheaply in mainland Europe, here, Lakeland appear to have a monopoly on supply. Buying in mainland Europe does mean you would have a European plug of course, shame we were not in EU long enough to have that bit of idiocy standardised (IMHO, of course) ;)

I think it would have taken a while for all of the other EU countries to conform to our 3-pin standard. :whistle:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Total-Chef-Czech-Cooker/dp/B01MSAF43Q/ref=pd_vtp_79_4/262-5025044-6242161?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01MSAF43Q&pd_rd_r=816676ab-35db-4693-ad23-8e41245ee3b1&pd_rd_w=3iYLb&pd_rd_wg=cqQCc&pf_rd_p=18bc5366-21e6-460e-84bc-9a61ea576c49&pf_rd_r=6GKR7806WACQD8YX65PP&psc=1&refRID=6GKR7806WACQD8YX65PP

yep as I recall lakeland took it over from my mate's mum. Lakeland stuff is pretty much always pricey for what it is.

You mean the British plug is superior? I think so - have spent time in italy with their wonky plugs - constant tendency to pull out when you are just doing a bit of ironing.

and I know of some italian houses where the sockets aren't even the same standard - the two measly pins different distances apart so sometimes you have to use an adaptor in your own house if you want to plug your electric madonna in somewhere else.

Last edited:
these are brilliant. got one for us & one for my Mom. she agrees

Dreamfarm Supoon All-In-One Cooking Spoon

supoon.jpg

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
yep as I recall lakeland took it over from my mate's mum. Lakeland stuff is pretty much always pricey for what it is.

You mean the British plug is superior? I think so - have spent time in italy with their wonky plugs - constant tendency to pull out when you are just doing a bit of ironing.

and I know of some italian houses where the sockets aren't even the same standard - the two measly pins different distances apart so sometimes you have to use an adaptor in your own house if you want to plug your electric madonna in somewhere else.

Wasn't expressing a view on which (if any) are superior, just banging the drum for standardisation, which is invariably in the consumer's interest, in the long term. IMHO.

Top Bottom