KMC 10sp Quick Link Unbelievably Tight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I used to remove my chain frequently and wash it in white spirit but lately I've come round to the Mickle method, which is a lot quicker and easier and doesn't seem to make any difference to chain life.

yello

I used to remove my chain frequently and wash it in white spirit but lately I've come round to the Mickle method, which is a lot quicker and easier and doesn't seem to make any difference to chain life.

My, that takes me back. I gave my chain cleaning tool away when I read of it. Good, sound and simple advice that I've been using now for years.

silva

Über Member
I had a problem with the clip that secures the quicklinks plate that closes the open side, alike the clip was wider than the recess in the protruding end of the links (longer) pin. Had to sand off edges a little. A previous time, same brand/model, didn't had that. Production tolerances maybe. Since quicklinks get delivered in disassembled state, I decided to check the spare quick link to avoid discovering this problem along the road in harsher conditions.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I always though 10 speed used a single use quicklink, mind you I've only got one bike with a 10 speed (20 actually) transmission.

Ajax Bay

Guru
noticed that I couldn't open the quick link. I tried absolutely everything, no joy. I have always been able to remove KMC quick links using only my fingers, even if they've been a little tough sometimes. I flexed the chain, added more lube to the quick link, tried GT85, tried the wire around the link trick, tried the needle nose pliers trick. Nothing! In the end, I had to cut the quick link through with a hacksaw
It's not the end of the world, it's only a quick link.
In your OP you seemed to 'big' up how important it was to reopen the quick link, to the extent that you decided to 'kill it' by hacksawing it off. End of the world for the poor innocent quick link! Without any reason why, other than 'I couldn't open it'. Now if you had done a few hundred miles and wished to clean said chain by taking it off etc then that's a fair rationale.
Personally I just 'stand' the quick link up on the large ring and hit it with a (preferably) rubber hammer or piece of wood. Works every time, for me. YMMV.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Personally I just 'stand' the quick link up on the large ring and hit it with a (preferably) rubber hammer or piece of wood. Works every time, for me.

Same here.

Though it took me a little while to work out that, rather than hitting the link square on (i.e. bashing the end of both plates), it's better to strike the link at an angle (so you only hit the end of one plate), since the object of the exercise is to move one plate relative to the other.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Why I wanted to take the quick link out bears no relevant importance, other than I simply wanted to take it out. Would it help if I said that I had wanted to shorten the chain? I wanted to clean the chain? I had noticed a problem with the chain? That was not the subject matter. The subject matter was that the QL was extremely tight and that I had never come across this problem in 40 plus years of riding bikes and however long I've been using QL's. A simple post deserves a simple reply. If I want to wear sandals with socks, although not fashion conscious, I have the right to wear sandals and socks, just as I have the right to want to take out a quick link that I purchased for a chain that I purchased for a bike that I purchased, or the right to take out the QL after every ride to clean the chain, or for any other reason, if I so wish to do so.

I don't wear sandals and socks by the way ^_^

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Why I wanted to take the quick link out bears no relevant importance, other than I simply wanted to take it out. Would it help if I said that I had wanted to shorten the chain? I wanted to clean the chain? I had noticed a problem with the chain? That was not the subject matter. The subject matter was that the QL was extremely tight and that I had never come across this problem in 40 plus years of riding bikes and however long I've been using QL's. A simple post deserves a simple reply. If I want to wear sandals with socks, although not fashion conscious, I have the right to wear sandals and socks, just as I have the right to want to take out a quick link that I purchased for a chain that I purchased for a bike that I purchased, or the right to take out the QL after every ride to clean the chain, or for any other reason, if I so wish to do so.

I don't wear sandals and socks by the way ^_^

I would not take it the wrong way, people were just trying to help you as you, as the nature of your post suggests you are not an expert, for example oiling a brand new chain and removing the chain just to give it a wipe over.

Top Bottom