KMC 10sp Quick Link Unbelievably Tight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

migrantwing

Veteran
Came to give my bike the once over before setting out for a ride on Sunday. Brand new KMC X10.93 chain fitted (now called simply X10, the new black/silver type in the hard plastic case) and quick link that came with the chain in the box. Lubed chain, cleaned off excess, checked brakes, gears etc. All good. Came to wipe off chain once again to see if there was any more excess last night and noticed that I couldn't open the quick link. I tried absolutely everything, no joy. I have always been able to remove KMC quick links using only my fingers, even if they've been a little tough sometimes. I flexed the chain, added more lube to the quick link, tried GT85, tried the wire around the link trick, tried the needle nose pliers trick. Nothing! In the end, I had to cut the quick link through with a hacksaw, this way I able to remove the chain from the bike, and then get some pliers to get the left over pieces off the chain. Maybe I should have just left the quick link on the chain, until it had worn a little bit, but I doubt that I would have been able to release it even then.

I've never known anything like it. Has anyone had any hassle with new chains/quicklinks from KMC? I'm quite reluctant to add another.

I bought a q link tool. It saves any hassle.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
I bought a q link tool. It saves any hassle.

Yeah. After 15-20 years, I think I'm gonna have to swallow my pride and get one.
That said, even with a tool, I still don't think it would have released. Who knows? I think it was defective, maybe a burr or just a hair too tight a at the 'shallow' end.

ql.jpg

Last edited:

yello

I found they can be a pita sometimes but I've not actually had one refuse to come apart. I didn't even know there was a tool for it, so I've learnt something today!

C R

Guru
Rocket launcher.
Pah, lightweight, nuke it from orbit, the only way to be sure!

I second what others have said, the quick link tool makes connecting and disconnecting the link a doddle, and they don't really cost very much.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've got a new KMC chain in the garage with a quick link that refused to close. Even with me standing on the pedals and a mate using a pliers to hold to two haves together it wouldn't budge. I gave up and drove down to Halfords and bought a Shimano chain.

Easiest quick links I've used are on Wipperman chains.

mythste

Veteran
Don't underestimate the pulling force of your deraileur. I spent many hours trying to get one off with pliers and wire and everything (apart from the additional tool) and then read it was imperative to take tension out by putting a piece of wire (I used some from a coat hanger) a few links either side to slacken it off. A shoelace on either side and it popped open straight away.

The tools worth having, but the knowledge is good for if you get stuck out and about. I carry a bit of coat hanger in my pack just to be on the safe side.

Top Bottom