KMC Chains. How Are They Packaged?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Packaged ones are for retail display. Unpackaged chains are for workshop use, are purchased in bulk and therefore a bit cheaper. There are no rules that say that bulk chain's must not be sold individually to retail customers, or that packaged chain's must not be fitted to repairs. Its nothing new.

Drago

Legendary Member
This is how KMC chains are packaged.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cfNzZre-sIU

iluvmybike

Über Member
I have just bought 3 KMC chains as theres alleged going to be a chain shortage ...but 2 from LBS had sane pladtic packing and 1 online was cardboard so I thought about copy ax well ..until thus page explained the pretty package for the shop shelf
I guess some one copying anything g will also copy the packaging much easier and stamp it as well
What does OEM mean ...is it the stuff that was returned by customers unwanted but in damaged packing or something ...as I have heard about good deals like that
OEM stands fro Original Equipment Manufacturer - and refers to something made specifically for the original product, while the aftermarket refers to equipment made by another company that a consumer may use as a replacement. They are genuibe parts - they may sometimes look slightly diferent in colour etc but otherwise no issues and is a cheaper way of buying. Retailers often buy up pallet loads of parts from cycle manufacturers at the end of a seasons run- so places like CRC, Merlin etc a lot of their stuff is OEM which is why it is much cheaper. It is NOT returned stock far from it. It is often unboxed as big manufacturers dont need boxed stuff in the factory

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Original Equipment Manufacturer
A company whose goods are used as components in the products of another company, which then sells the finished item to users. So KMC sell chains to sell off-the-shelf in shops, but also to people who make bikes.
I change my commuter chain every six hundred miles or so and my most recent swap was easy because the chain supplied is 114 links long which just so happens to perfectly suit my bike.

A shop shelf spare would have been more "generic" with extra links needing removal before fitting.

The pre applied lube is a welcome bonus.

I've just ordered a batch of these chains to keep me going for the next couple of years.

The missus is livid.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I change my commuter chain every six hundred miles or so and my most recent swap was easy because the chain supplied is 114 links long which just so happens to perfectly suit my bike.

A shop shelf spare would have been more "generic" with extra links needing removal before fitting.

I've just ordered a batch of these chains to keep me going for the next couple of years.

The missus is livid.

600 miles is an incredibly short life for a chain

The see through plastic box that a retail KMC chain comes in, is pretty excessive when you think about it.

All I want is the chain and the rest is just planet destroying fluff.

I do wonder about this, swapping high grade plastic that can be recycled vs end of line thin flexible plastic that is nearing the end of its life. The latter is less likely to be recycled as it’s a bit like carrier bags, it the whole argument for the end user therefore neutral but it’s a win for the business for using lower grade plastics so they don’t generate as much CO2 as someone else has already done it

vickster

Legendary Member

The missus is livid.
Do you recycle all those part used chains?

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I do wonder about this, swapping high grade plastic that can be recycled vs end of line thin flexible plastic that is nearing the end of its life. The latter is less likely to be recycled as it’s a bit like carrier bags, it the whole argument for the end user therefore neutral but it’s a win for the business for using lower grade plastics so they don’t generate as much CO2 as someone else has already done it
The first chain I bought was in the mid 1980's and it was in a cardboard sleeve with no plastic involved.

Yet here we are today, with kids buying a mashed up weetabix and milk in a plastic bottle from the local Tesco on the way to school.:ohmy:

1627240068747.png

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
600 miles is an incredibly short life for a chain
You'd think so, but my commute is over some pretty rough roads with a fair bit of slurry on the surface.

I do a chain check every week and I get down to about 0.50% wear after about 500 miles.

Seeing as how chains are a lot cheaper than chainrings and freewheels, I err on the side of caution and do a chain swap.

It's a five minute job and it's really no bother.

@Lovacott, I’ve got temporary crowns at the moment over my four lateral teeth while I await Emaxx crowns. It’s partly cosmetic and partly for dental corrections from a previous trauma as a teenager. I am on soft food and tepid liquids so these are great for me. I understand children abusing them though as they are up all night doing minecrafting stuff!

[label] NSFW [\label]

If your interested my two front teeth hit the floor when slide tackled on ice by a bully and snapped in a v shape and the composite is failing after 20 years. Yes I got sweet revenge on said bully in front of his mates a year or so later. Needless to say a bully on his bum is a sorry sight to see 😂😂😀👍.

Top Bottom