KMC Chains. How Are They Packaged?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
I've bought a few KMC chains over the last year.

The Z7's I've bought for the MTB have been boxed thus.

1626607701917.png

But the X9 I just bought from the same vendor, turned up in a bar coded plastic bag despite being advertised as being boxed the same as the Z7?

It looks exactly the same as the chain it's replacing but I'm wondering if I've been sold a copy?

Any feedback would be welcome.

the snail

Guru
Could be OEM stock? Is the chain itself stamped KMC?

Reactions: C R

Jody

Stubborn git
Has it not been cut/sold from a reel to keep the cost down?

Last edited:
Same brand product but in different packaging is common. One is for LBS and distributors who do the final assembly and usually comes in plastic and bulk boxed. End users don't see it. It also has different codes and priced much much cheaper and not allowed for retail trade.

Sometimes outlets break up a groupsets and sell them separately an you will see on the plastic the words - not to be sold separately.

The ones that go to the LBS retail shelf or sold in shops and online come in nice boxes and for shelf display. Also more expensive.

Looks like the outlet ran out of retail stock. No issues, exact same product.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Just bought 2 x 10 speed from different suppliers, both came in plastic boxes as OP.
Update.

I've had it on the bike for a week, seems legit and it was pre coated with some pretty decent lube.

I've checked with the vendor and they state that it is a genuine KMC chain without all the fancy packaging you'd need to display it on a rack in Halfords.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Guru
I've had the same with Shimano chains from Wiggle. Sometimes boxed in retail wrapping in Shomano's own blue cardboard wth a cellophane window, sometimes wrapped in plastic with a printed label. Despite being slightly suspicious initially, I''ve never discerned any difference in the chain.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I've had the same with Shimano chains from Wiggle. Sometimes boxed in retail wrapping in Shomano's own blue cardboard wth a cellophane window, sometimes wrapped in plastic with a printed label. Despite being slightly suspicious initially, I''ve never discerned any difference in the chain.
The see through plastic box that a retail KMC chain comes in, is pretty excessive when you think about it.

All I want is the chain and the rest is just planet destroying fluff.

Lookrider

Its OEM chain that is all - not needed to be boxed as normally used in the factory -but exactly the same
I have just bought 3 KMC chains as theres alleged going to be a chain shortage ...but 2 from LBS had sane pladtic packing and 1 online was cardboard so I thought about copy ax well ..until thus page explained the pretty package for the shop shelf
I guess some one copying anything g will also copy the packaging much easier and stamp it as well
What does OEM mean ...is it the stuff that was returned by customers unwanted but in damaged packing or something ...as I have heard about good deals like that

Top Bottom