KMC chains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I currently have a KMC X10L.

I am going to be changing my cassette (from 12-28 to 12-30) so will need a new chain.

Would I be right in thinking that any of these chains will be a satisfactory replacement?

X10 93

X10 EL

X10SL

Just a question of weight for each one?

Ta muchly in advance.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Worry not, they'll all be fine.

Tom B

Guru
While we are on the case. Will a KMC Z8S suit as a replacement for a Shimano HG50.

I have swapped it but it is skipping on the cassette, before I swap the cassette I jest wanted to make sure it suits.

While we are on the case. Will a KMC Z8S suit as a replacement for a Shimano HG50.

I have swapped it but it is skipping on the cassette, before I swap the cassette I jest wanted to make sure it suits.
It is skipping because now your cassette is worn. You allowed your previous chain to go beyond the wear limit and now it has damaged your cassette. The skipping does not indicate a wrong chain.

Tom B

Guru
I quite agree however The old chain only recently went beyond 1%. The grotty gritty riding conditions probably don't help.

I had arrived at the conclusion that the problem was with the one sprocket that skips . I just wanted to double check.... Thanks all

I quite agree however The old chain only recently went beyond 1%. The grotty gritty riding conditions probably don't help.

I had arrived at the conclusion that the problem was with the one sprocket that skips . I just wanted to double check.... Thanks all
The sprocket that skips is your favourite one where you spend your most time in. However, whether one or ten sprockets are worn, the cassette is dead. Technically, a chain's useful life is between 0% elongation due to wear and 0.5% elongation. By the time it has reached 1% it has definitely killed the sprocket. If it is between 0.5% and 1% the sprocket may still be OK depending on how much you concentrate on one gear. The best scenario is if you have ridden in terrain that required all the gears, which divides the wear amongst more sprockets.

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Glad I've found this thread. I replaced my KMC chain and it's been skipping in second and third gear ever since. I'd changed the chain at 0.75, just as I'd always done before I used KMC's. I was wondering whether it's perhaps good practice to change the cassette whenever you fit a new KMC chain. They're so tough and they last such a long time that they must chew up cassettes much more than those Shimano made-of-cheese jobbies.

Glad I've found this thread. I replaced my KMC chain and it's been skipping in second and third gear ever since. I'd changed the chain at 0.75, just as I'd always done before I used KMC's. I was wondering whether it's perhaps good practice to change the cassette whenever you fit a new KMC chain. They're so tough and they last such a long time that they must chew up cassettes much more than those Shimano made-of-cheese jobbies.
No, the chain is tougher than any other chain. They're all made from the same carbon steel. The cassette cannot last forever, no matter at what point you change the chain. Eventually it wears out.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm currently testing a KMC HD chain in my commuter, see if it lasts any longer. Supposed to have super duper hard pins or something. We shall see.

Top Bottom