Do link extractors fit all types of bike chains?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a link extractor that worked fine on the MTBs that I used to ride. Will it also fit the chains on my road bikes, or do I need a different size extractor?

Attachments

• 20221218_133646.jpg
    20221218_133646.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20221218_133537.jpg
    20221218_133537.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 3

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
It'll be fine. MTB and road chains are all the same. The biggest difference between chains is whether they're 7, 8, 9,10, 11, 12 speed etc.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
If I recall, I had problems using my generic link extractor on my Bianchi road bike and had to buy a Campagnolo link extractor.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Edit: If the drivetrains are the same: no problem. If your "road bike" is 11sp there will be slack and the tool will not work as well.
(NB - is a 'chain tool' designed to 'cut and join' the chain)

Last edited:
I think the earlier cyclo tools, that I had in the 60's and for 5 speed chains had a pin that was slightly wider in diameter and wouldn't work for more modern chains.

That is the issue I was potentially concerned about. I suppose the only way to be sure is to try it on a reduntant chain that has been replaced. I don't have one laying around.
PS , I bought the tool in early 2000s

It'll be fine. MTB and road chains are all the same. The biggest difference between chains is whether they're 7, 8, 9,10, 11, 12 speed etc.
What is the physical difference? Is it that a 11 speed for example would be thinner links (not shorter links) than a 7 speed?

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
What is the physical difference? Is it that a 11 speed for example would be thinner links (not shorter links) than a 7 speed?

That's basically it. Although as others have said, it shouldn't really make any difference to your chain tool. If there's any slack on the outside link which you'll be pushing the pin against, try a shim for a coke can or something like a small washer.

Last edited:
Edit: If the drivetrains are the same: no problem. If your "road bike" is 11sp there will be slack and the tool will not work as well.
(NB - is a 'chain tool' designed to 'cut and join' the chain)
Thank you for replying, can you explain in layman terms please.

So drive train generally means the gears, car, bike etc.
My road bikes are 11 speed.In what context do you mean by slack ??

Yes, a chain tool is designed to remove links, or at least that is all I have done. I have never added additional links. Please expand.

That's basically it. Although as others have said, it shouldn't really make any difference to your chain tool. If there's any slack on the outside link which you'll be pushing the pin against, try a shim for a coke can or something like a small washer.

There are outside and inside links?? Appologies for my lack of bike knowledge, but thank you for your patience.

bobzmyunkle

Aren't link tools universal? I use the same one for 9, 10 and 11. Never noticed a problem other than my weakness when turning the handle.

midlife

Guru
are some pins peined over so can't use a tool to re-join (trashes the pin) and have to use a quick link to join?

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom