Do link extractors fit all types of bike chains?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Nah, @midlife is right. Alot of chains now use mushroomed/peined pins. They wreck the outer plates when pushed out so a quick link is needed to rejoin.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Edit: If the drivetrains are the same: no problem. If your "road bike" is 11sp there will be slack and the tool will not work as well.
(NB - is a 'chain tool' designed to 'cut and join' the chain)
After making that assertion I have been trying to find somewhere to back up what I understand.
What is the physical difference? Is it that a 11 speed for example would be thinner links (not shorter links) than a 7 speed?
The outer dimension of an 11sp chain is less than a 8sp one (see table below - 1.8mm). And I assumed your "on the MTBs that I used to ride" you were talking about 1990s MTBs (chain tools designed for max 9sp).
Thank you for replying, can you explain in layman terms please.
So drive train generally means the gears, car, bike etc.
My road bikes are 11 speed.In what context do you mean by slack ??
Yes, a chain tool is designed to remove links, or at least that is all I have done. I have never added additional links. Please expand.
Yes: drivetrain number of sprockets "the same".
Edit: Expansion removed as too complex and incomprehensible. Thanks to @Chislenko for his advice.

Attachments

• 1671485890230.png
    1671485890230.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 1671489553790.png
    1671489553790.png
    25 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
So, in respect of 11 speed, it is likely that a new connecting link would be required.

Also as 11 speed are well established, are we saying that the industry now produce a link extractor specifically for 11 speed now.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Does anybody else ever think that certain individuals on here try to make cycle maintenance more complex than it actually is. It's growing tiresome now.
Dear Chis. My early post was a simple 2 liner - not complex. You provided anecdata 'works all right for me'. The OP asked me to explain my 'slack', and I tried to (apologising for long windedness). If you're getting fatigued, there is a thread ignore button available. I use it sparingly. I have removed my tome in order to avoid complexity. See also 'does a wheel hang or stand on its spokes' (or neither).

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Does anybody else ever think that certain individuals on here try to make cycle maintenance more complex than it actually is.

It's growing tiresome now.

It's a bike not a Harrier Jump Jet!

Don't got onto RD pull ratios or wheel building!!

Ajax Bay

Guru
So, in respect of 11 speed, it is likely that a new connecting link would be required.
Also as 11 speed are well established, are we saying that the industry now produce a link extractor specifically for 11 speed now.
I join all my chains with a 'quick link'. Shimano chains come with a special pin to join them. SRAM and KMC ones come with a 'quicklink'.
Some 'quick links' are in theory 'one use' ones. I normally fit and remove mine up to 3 times per chain, though.
Different speeds have different 'quick links'. but they will work, as a temporary fix, one speed up (ie a 9sp will work on a 10 sp chain etc).

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran

Another good reason to stay on 10 spd!!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I found the Cyclo tool wasn't man enough for 10 speed and above. More sophisticated tools also have a peening setting for mounting such as Campag chains (which have a special pin that has to be peened on fitting). This is the one I use, which is as good as the official Campag one costing three times as much - https://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-proficonnect-chain-tool-btl55

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!

9, 10, 11, 12 (is there a 13?) speed chains all require a joining link specifically for that individual size but as @Ajax Bay has said, we can usually get away with small discrepancies in size. I ran an 8 SPD KMC link on a 9spd chain without issue.

tyred

Legendary Member
You could always drive the rivet out using a masonry nail as a drift and small nut as a bolster, just like my Dad taught me when I was very young :okay:

I was around thirty when I discovered there was actually a tool specifically for this job and life became easy. :dance:

Top Bottom