Knee pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
I have similar recurring priblems with knees , hardly surprising after 40 years of tiling , Boots sell knee supports i do not know which brand they are but are blue in colour and cost about £34-5 a pop, they have been xlnt for me , i can take a pic tonight of one if you may be intetested , usually only the larger stores have them ,
Had mine a good few years now and still doing their bit , also they are comfortable to wear
Funny im a tiler as well . Not as long as you tho . I think i know the ones ur talking about my cousin got one for himself from boots around that price .thanks

ozboz

Guru
Funny im a tiler as well . Not as long as you tho . I think i know the ones ur talking about my cousin got one for himself from boots around that price .thanks

That is a co- incidence !!
If im doing a big floor i wear them all the time , as well as knee pads , deffo the the best ive ever had

gaijintendo

Veteran
I'm convinced a lot of cycling knee problems have their root cause in the insistence of many "serious" cyclists in wearing cleats, as your foot cannot self-align according to where your joints want it to be placed. Why not ditch the clipless and do a same distance ride on flat pedals and see if it is more comfortable?
I am not sure about cleats being a problem, but certainly pedal technique, especially when clipped.

A few years ago I was training a but on wattbikes. It was explained that pedalling as if "wiping your feet" would increase my power output. Indeed ot does, but it engages muscles supporting the knee, countering the lateral forces.

I don't think I can build up those muscles, so I have to settle for being inefficient and infrequent knee pain.

CXRAndy

Guru
Try body only squats, then when you can do a hundred, move onto front weighted squats- must have good form/technique. These will develop overall leg strength and build muscle around the knee

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The original cleat position was good before the little adjustment for the 60 miles ride .adjustment was only to stop shoes rubbing on crank arm. The position was good after the adjustment on the 80mile ride with no pain .
So Ile rest up and change it back to where it was ,I could put up with the shoes rubbing if it sorts it
I have helicopter tape on my crank arms , i would rather be comfy than have unmarked crank arms .

Most knee pain is muscular. You've got some major muscle groups which insert in or around the knee, you only need one of them to be strained or out of balance to give you knee pain.

I'd recommend you start with stretching and foam rolling before you see anyone. Your GP will probably be able to tell you if you've done something serious but unless they have a special interest, not much else. If you see a physio, see a sports physio. This website is the best I've found for describing knee pain symptoms

https://www.knee-pain-explained.com/

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sit on a table with your legs dangling - do your feet turn outwards? You need to try to reproduce that posture on the pedals but by turning the cleats to avoid heel rub you have imposed a small twist on your knee joints.

Rub the sore area with ibuprofen gel to cure the pain. Then buy some pedal extenders or buy the 4mm extended axle version of the SPD-SL pedal to allow your feet to turn out more.

Kajjal

Guru
The further and harder you ride the more important setup and the physical limits of your body are.

Not everyone can ride 100 miles without painful after effects due to the body not being able to stand the strain it is put under. This could just be the route being very hilly. In my case my limit mountain biking is about 50 miles and then I have to have at least two days off the bike so all is fine with no after effects.

To check saddle height a good guide is with your foot flat, the pedal down and in line with the seat tube properly sat back on the saddle you should be able to lift yourself off the saddle a little upwards in line with the seat tube. If you can’t it is very likely your saddle is too high.

Top Bottom