knees hitting the dropbar ends

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Bike is too small for you, try a longer stem, different bars or stay in the saddle. Or sell the bike and get one that fits

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The distance from your knee to the pedal is not going to change, the pedal is not going to move out of its little orbit. So I can only imagine that the bars are turning excessively when you sprint/start, which would also imply you're wasting energy by not going in a straight line. You may need to be pulling up on the handlebars a little earlier and concentrating on keeping the sway down to a minimum.

I have a bike with bar end changers and I have been known to accidentally change gears when manoeuvring the bike but never under normal use.

EDIT: Agree with other posts about twisting the bars a little. It'll raise you a little when you're riding on the hoods but you can bend your elbows a little more.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
as with the rest. your bar looks as if it is loose and gravity has taken effect. roll it up so the whole top bit to the hoods is pretty well flat & the bar ends are more plumb line level with the tops and it'll help as a) they'll be further away from your knees and b) you won't be as tipped forwards when on the hoods or drops pushing your whole body, including knees more into proximity with the bars. There does look a bit of leeway to trim some off the ends too without bothering your grip on drops which would help more too.

But it is clear from the seatpost alone that you're far too big for the frame. I'd give this one up as a mistaken purchase, sell it on and go with your plan to buy a different bike.

No disrespect to Halfords intended, I'm not one of the hate 'em just because gang, but I'd strongly suggest you go to a 'proper' local bike shop (LBS in abbreviated form on here) so you can sit on a few, take some advice on fitting and what bike geometry will suit your riding style, rather then return to the people that saw your height and still let you leave the shop with that bike, or buying online sight unseen from a rough idea measurement 52.54.56 whatever.

Also before you do pay out for a new one, have a bit of a google on frame sizes vs body height etc and learn a little bit about sizing and set up to help inform yourself when you do go looking because as much as Halfords let you leave with the wrong size bike, it was still you that left with it.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Sounds to me like the seat post is at it's limit of adjustment, and the OP is still having problems with the size of the bicycle. Selling the bike to a shorter rider and getting a larger one seems like a good plan.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Ok, this might sound a bit radical and you'll probably have to get a referal from your GP, but have you thought about getting a chunk cut out of your legs? Can probably get it done for free on the NHs these days :whistle:

Cyclist33

Sounds to me like the seat post is at it's limit of adjustment, and the OP is still having problems with the size of the bicycle. Selling the bike to a shorter rider and getting a larger one seems like a good plan.

You can always get a longer seatpost. There *are* people of all shapes and sizes, and that bike is by no means the most outlandish I've seen in terms of the differential between saddle height and handlebar height!

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
pair-of-elastic-knee-pads-in-black-by-blitz-123-p.jpg

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Saddle height is not going to help the OP's knees though. I just got on the turbo to see whether I could replicate the effect on a bike that's just a wee bit small for me. And I can almost manage it (can hit the tops though) but the bars have to be at an unrideable angle with the toe pointing straight down.

Top Bottom