knees hitting the dropbar ends

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
You can always get a longer seatpost. There *are* people of all shapes and sizes, and that bike is by no means the most outlandish I've seen in terms of the differential between saddle height and handlebar height!

Perhaps not the most outlandish, but that's missing the point. It is obviously, by the op ' s post, not working out well in this configuration. To solve this, more room is needed.

Cyclist33

Perhaps not the most outlandish, but that's missing the point. It is obviously, by the op ' s post, not working out well in this configuration. To solve this, more room is needed.

Okay, but that isn't the same as blanket saying that the bike's too small on the basis of a picture of a bike with a well-extended seatpost and low relative handlebar position.

The point, which is what I think has been missed, is that not everyone benefits from a more neutral position. In my own case, though I hardly class myself as flexible or even particularly fit, all attempts to level or neutralise my ride positions have left me painfully unwilling to get on the bikes, by contrast I have found that by pushing my post out and the saddle roughly central, then dropping the bars an inch or so down, I have reached a good balance between performance and comfort.

I read the OP before I started commenting and from this and the photo it seems fairly clear that a) the issue arises when out of the saddle and therefore any opinions on whether the saddle is in the right place are moot, and b) the issue can only be solved on this particular bike if the OP rolled the drops upwards and/or fitted a longer stem. Since we have no anatomical data on the OP any other suggestions would also be moot.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Ok, this might sound a bit radical and you'll probably have to get a referal from your GP, but have you thought about getting a chunk cut out of your legs? Can probably get it done for free on the NHs these days :whistle:
I think you've got your wires a bit crossed. The NHS likes to add stuff on rather than cutting it off, and that's to boobs not legs! And only then if you're going to be a glamour model.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I think the bike diagnosis is based on several things beyond the simple picture, albeit it is an extreme and uncomfortable looking set up. The height and bike size mentioned in the OP and the fact it is damnably hard to crack your knees off the front end of a bike going in a straight line or even a moderate turn out of the saddle or not as neither the pedal cranks nor the OP's legs will be changing length nor connection to one another and it would be a heck of an odd almost crouched position to be getting into out of the saddle to be pointing the lower legs that far forwards on a well fitted frame. Allied to the subsequent photo giving the impression that if foot to backside height has to be augmented with such an extension of seatpost then by extension (no pun) the horizontal length of the frame is going to be commensurate to the shorter vertical height and would require a far longer stem tube to make the bike fit the body.

Last edited:

ayceejay

Guru
Mark_Cavendish_Ghent_Wevelgem_2009.jpg

It seems obvious that the frame is too small for normal use but what beats me is why a beginner feels the need to adopt a position I have only ever seen pros in a bunch sprint use.
In this picture of Mark Cavendish you can see the position in question, there is a fair amount of seat post showing and a long stem yet his knees are closer to his elbows that handlebars could it be that the OP gets out of the saddle and drops his position rather than what Cavendish is doing ie same height but further forward?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
My knees can hit the tops when sprinting . I guess if you cycle with your knees kicking out rather than in line you could hit the drops .

Firestorm

Veteran
View attachment 74211
It seems obvious that the frame is too small for normal use but what beats me is why a beginner feels the need to adopt a position I have only ever seen pros in a bunch sprint use.
In this picture of Mark Cavendish you can see the position in question, there is a fair amount of seat post showing and a long stem yet his knees are closer to his elbows that handlebars could it be that the OP gets out of the saddle and drops his position rather than what Cavendish is doing ie same height but further forward?
If Cav had his bars rotated like the O/p's picture he may bang his knees
Seems to be the place to start before spending any money

OP
OP
Torvi

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
View attachment 74211

my sprinting does looks similiar to it, tough instead of using drops i lean on shifters
Thanks for all the replies, didnt tought that it will make sucha brainstorm around.

Last edited:
My two pen'orth, the sweep of the drop section of the bars extends well back past the top (horizontal) section of the bars, and while I realise that this is not unusual there are lots of different profiles available so swapping the bars for some with a less rearward sweep would help alleviate the problem.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Another one to recommend rotating the handlebars forward a bit. You'll gain a couple of inches of clearance if you get the tops horizontal. You could also try a slightly longer stem (mine's 130mm) - although the bike does sound a bit small for your height, this might make it less knee-unfriendly. Here's my set-up:

DSC09347_02-04-2013.jpg

Top Bottom