Knocked off by a car. Long read...

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Doug87, 8 Jun 2019.

1. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

I never spoke face to face with anyone and my case took 4 years to complete. It's not necessary, I did everything by email, phone and rge required paperwork

Doug87 and classic33 like this.
  2. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Likewise. Just over 31/2 years to get mine completed.

It does give the advantage of keeping "paperwork" in one place.

3. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Last edited: 9 Jun 2019
    Doug87 likes this.
  4. alicat

alicat Guru

The Isle of Wight is part of the UK so you can use a mainland solicitor. I was in Cycling UK (you can join and get retrospective cover). I had one meeting with my solicitors 1/3 way through and then did the rest by email. I think you'll find that is the usual way. If you want to do it all face to face, you may find that the solicitor you use is not as good.

Doug87, tom73 and classic33 like this.
  5. classic33

What ever you do, solicitor wise, make sure you get one who deals with cycling incidents. And has dealt with them in the past.

Whether that is online or face to face.

Doug87, tom73, HLaB and 1 other person like this.
  6. alicat

alicat Guru

^^^ wot he said.

Doug87 likes this.
  7. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

.....or find a solicitor who cycles.

tom73 and Doug87 like this.
  8. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Leigh Day or Slater and Gordon.
    Both cycling specific Solicitors. Both of which are very good. No need for face to face.

Doug87 likes this.
  9. Arjimlad

Arjimlad Tights of Cydonia

Actions should have consequences, I would support prosecution if I were you.

Doug87 and classic33 like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Doug87

Doug87 Member

Thanks every 1 I've just got off the phone to leigh day. Hopefully it all goes smoothly.

11. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

Smoothly might be asking a bit much, but in other respects you appear to have realistic expectations, so all should be well.

You may even come out of it better than you were expecting.

classic33, Doug87 and tom73 like this.
  12. classic33

Start getting your paperwork in some sort of order. Make it easier for later on.

tom73 likes this.
  13. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

Prosecute. Failure to drive to the standard expected of a competent driver.

14. Crankarm

Crankarm Guru

Broken collar bone - I would have thought any compensation would be significant, plus repair or replacement of bike, plus loss of earnings etc. Quite a substantial sum. Make sure you get a copy of the CCTV footage you have been told about by plod of you being knocked off or tell LD solicitors footage exists to ensure they get a copy for your civil claim before it is wiped. In the meantime good luck with your recovery. Don't compromise on this. Keep a diary and take lots of pics. I would suggest very strongly you indicate to police you WANT the driver prosecuted as this will very much help your civil claim for compensation. A finding of guilt in a criminal case is clear evidence of liability in negligence in a civil claim meaning the driver or his insurers cannot later dispute liability so your claim will be simply working out how much compensation your injuries and other costs are worth. Injuries can take a long time to heal and prognosis is not always clear which can be good for compensation but also bad as you may still be suffering after affects and loss of amenity. Compensation is supposed to put you back in the position you were just before the collision, the negligent act. However all this is a slow process it can take several years and more for it to be concluded. Do NOT be put off. It will be very much worth it in the long run. I have been through it twice. In each case I got significant amounts of compensation.

Doug87, Bazzer and NorthernDave like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Doug87

Doug87 Member

I told LD about the footage. And luckily I know an employee of the take away well enough to ask to see it and maybe record it on my phone as the police said they r struggling to download it to disc. Whether he will let me is another matter. I will pop in 2mos and have a chat with him.

C R likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice