Knocked off by a car. Long read...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the replies. I wasnt expecting such a response. I dont think I mentioned I live on the isle of wight so not sure if that would affect the use of a mainland solicitor? Personally I'd rather speak face to face with them. I'll make some enquiries 2mos. The police have since called me again to pass over the drivers details so I have those now. Thanks again everyone. I'll try n keep the thread updated.
I never spoke face to face with anyone and my case took 4 years to complete. It's not necessary, I did everything by email, phone and rge required paperwork

classic33

Leg End Member
I never spoke face to face with anyone and my case took 4 years to complete. It's not necessary, I did everything by email, phone and rge required paperwork
Likewise. Just over 31/2 years to get mine completed.

It does give the advantage of keeping "paperwork" in one place.

alicat

Legendary Member
I dont think I mentioned I live on the isle of wight so not sure if that would affect the use of a mainland solicitor? Personally I'd rather speak face to face with them.

The Isle of Wight is part of the UK so you can use a mainland solicitor. I was in Cycling UK (you can join and get retrospective cover). I had one meeting with my solicitors 1/3 way through and then did the rest by email. I think you'll find that is the usual way. If you want to do it all face to face, you may find that the solicitor you use is not as good.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks for all the replies. I wasnt expecting such a response. I dont think I mentioned I live on the isle of wight so not sure if that would affect the use of a mainland solicitor? Personally I'd rather speak face to face with them. I'll make some enquiries 2mos. The police have since called me again to pass over the drivers details so I have those now. Thanks again everyone. I'll try n keep the thread updated.
What ever you do, solicitor wise, make sure you get one who deals with cycling incidents. And has dealt with them in the past.

Whether that is online or face to face.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Actions should have consequences, I would support prosecution if I were you.

Crankarm

Guru
Thanks every 1 I've just got off the phone to leigh day. Hopefully it all goes smoothly.

Broken collar bone - I would have thought any compensation would be significant, plus repair or replacement of bike, plus loss of earnings etc. Quite a substantial sum. Make sure you get a copy of the CCTV footage you have been told about by plod of you being knocked off or tell LD solicitors footage exists to ensure they get a copy for your civil claim before it is wiped. In the meantime good luck with your recovery. Don't compromise on this. Keep a diary and take lots of pics. I would suggest very strongly you indicate to police you WANT the driver prosecuted as this will very much help your civil claim for compensation. A finding of guilt in a criminal case is clear evidence of liability in negligence in a civil claim meaning the driver or his insurers cannot later dispute liability so your claim will be simply working out how much compensation your injuries and other costs are worth. Injuries can take a long time to heal and prognosis is not always clear which can be good for compensation but also bad as you may still be suffering after affects and loss of amenity. Compensation is supposed to put you back in the position you were just before the collision, the negligent act. However all this is a slow process it can take several years and more for it to be concluded. Do NOT be put off. It will be very much worth it in the long run. I have been through it twice. In each case I got significant amounts of compensation.

OP
OP
Doug87

Doug87

Regular
Broken collar bone - I would have thought any compensation would be significant, plus repair or replacement of bike, plus loss of earnings etc. Quite a substantial sum. Make sure you get a copy of the CCTV footage you have been told about by plod of you being knocked off or tell LD solicitors footage exists to ensure they get a copy for your civil claim before it is wiped. In the meantime good luck with your recovery. Don't compromise on this. Keep a diary and take lots of pics. I would suggest very strongly you indicate to police you WANT the driver prosecuted as this will very much help your civil claim for compensation. A finding of guilt in a criminal case is clear evidence of liability in negligence in a civil claim meaning the driver or his insurers cannot later dispute liability so your claim will be simply working out how much compensation your injuries and other costs are worth. Injuries can take a long time to heal and prognosis is not always clear which can be good for compensation but also bad as you may still be suffering after affects and loss of amenity. Compensation is supposed to put you back in the position you were just before the collision, the negligent act. However all this is a slow process it can take several years and more for it to be concluded. Do NOT be put off. It will be very much worth it in the long run. I have been through it twice. In each case I got significant amounts of compensation.
I told LD about the footage. And luckily I know an employee of the take away well enough to ask to see it and maybe record it on my phone as the police said they r struggling to download it to disc. Whether he will let me is another matter. I will pop in 2mos and have a chat with him.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom