Knocked off by london taxi, then spat at

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Evilcat said:
I have reported it to the Public Carriage Office too, although they are fairly explicit about not dealing with what they see as traffic matters.

Spitting on someone cannot possibly be construed as a traffic matter.

And it's not behaviour appropriate in someone licensed to deal with the public - would you want to ride in this guy's cab?

Tharg2007

Veteran
do you still have a trace of the spit?
Also might be worth going back to the area and taking a look around, check what CCTV is there as the police might not look into it properly. Also check for any private CCTV cameras as these might have picked it up too.

It is your duty to try to get this muppit off the road before he kills someone

OP
OP
Evilcat

Evilcat

No spit: it missed me (and the bike). Will pop to the cop shop in a sec and take a peek at CCTV on my ride in tomorrow.

EC

I appreciate what you said is probably tongue in cheek, but I don't think it's ever a good idea to chase down a cab driver (or anyone) to remonstrate with them.

I'm glad that you were able to get up again. Heal well.
I hope the culprit is brought to book.

OP
OP
Evilcat

Evilcat

ed_o_brain said:
I appreciate what you said is probably tongue in cheek, but I don't think it's ever a good idea to chase down a cab driver (or anyone) to remonstrate with them.
My initial thought was to get the licence plate or cab number (which I did). Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to remonstrate. :wacko:

I will normally have a reasoned word with a driver if they end up causing me grief... it doesn't happen that often. The last guy I had a chat with ended up apologising profusely once he had understood what happened. Clearly this morning's bozo was in a different category.

It is, unfortunately, this type of incident that might put me off commuting and send me back to the car. For now I'm just putting it down to one idiot and the usual rough and tumble of London traffic. :becool:

EC

jmaccyd

Well you have two options I suppose. Report an injury accident to the Police as required uner the law or report the incident to the PCO (Penton St, London) Sadly, I am not sure the PCO was once the organisation it once was when dealing with dodgy driving but you could try the abusive language/sptting elements to the complaint as well. Or do both, although technically if a taxi driver is reported for a motoring offence you have to inform the PCO anyway.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
jmaccyd said:
Well you have two options I suppose. Report an injury accident to the Police as required uner the law or report the incident to the PCO (Penton St, London) Sadly, I am not sure the PCO was once the organisation it once was when dealing with dodgy driving but you could try the abusive language/sptting elements to the complaint as well. Or do both, although technically if a taxi driver is reported for a motoring offence you have to inform the PCO anyway.
The PCO will not be at all interested. They will say it's a police matter.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Evilcat, I sincerely hope the police do take you seriously. Visible injuries are sufficient corroboration to start an investigation. Do check for CCTV. Although it should be second nature for the police to check for it, if you make a note of any cameras which may have caught the incidents (there are two separate matters here, and at least four separate offences I can think of) then you will not be fobbed off by the old "well, there are no independent witnesses" crap.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Pretty sure that junction (which is also on my commute) is covered by an array of cameras. Fuss a couple of years ago 'cos the cameras were being used to issue PCNs to cabbies U turning around the old tram tunnel entrance.

Brains

Legendary Member
Photograph the injuries before they start to look better

Also please put the plate and cab licence number on the thread - some other poor sod may come looking for that in the months to come, as I'll bet you are not the first or last cyclist he has cut up

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Looked a the junction again today and while there seem to be north and south bound cameras the major surveillance kit looks like the stuff for the congestion charge.

OP
OP
Evilcat

Evilcat

Police not that interested (I gave a statement nonetheless) but the PCO will be hauling in the cabbie on the spitting issue. Doesn't look like there were any cameras pointing my way -- I asked the police to look at these but again, they're not too interested. I think the best I can hope for is a stern talking to for the miscreant, by both the police and PCO if I'm lucky.

My love/hate relationship with commuting continues. On the plus side my heart is much better off for the exercise, and I can hold my head up high as the person with the longest commute in the office (half the team cycles). On the negative side I'm fed up with the near crashes with cars, buses and taxis, the quality of London roads and the morons on bikes who think that RLJing is acceptable when pedestrians and cars are crossing their direction of travel. And the prevailing wind which seems to give me a 35mph headwind going home every evening this week.

Oh well, more commuting tomorrow.

EC

Top Bottom