Knocked off my bike in a cycle lane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
Well, since that debate (thankfully) died out, I thought I'd post an update.

I am on the mend. I've been told I can ride my bike again, but I've also been told I need physiotherapy. I'm still not sleeping well: my back acts up while I sleep, right around where I got the compression fractures.

I have gotten on my bike (not the road bike :sad: )The furthest I've gone is about 30 minutes so far, and I'm not back to regular commuting, which would be about 8 miles, twice a day.

My bike is not fixed. It probably won't get fixed, since the estimate to fix it is the same as the price I paid for it. It's been sitting in my garage since I got the quote to fix it back from the bike shop, so I'm mostly riding my old Trek FX 7.0, which is nowhere near as fun as my road bike was.

I'm gradually getting myself kitted up for starting to commute again, but I'm a lot more conscious of the equipment I'm using now, particularly what's required by law and what's recommended. This is not because I expect to be ticketed for having something that's not approved, but more because not using what's required by law or recommended could hurt any potential settlement in the event of an accident.

In particular, I'm having trouble finding a set of lights that are compliant with UK law. I even contacted Specialized asking about standards approval on the Flux lights... but they don't have ANY EC standards approval. It looks like I'll be stuck trying to buy German lights, since no one in the UK seems to have lights which are compliant with UK law.

And the driver?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
In particular, I'm having trouble finding a set of lights that are compliant with UK law. I even contacted Specialized asking about standards approval on the Flux lights... but they don't have ANY EC standards approval. It looks like I'll be stuck trying to buy German lights, since no one in the UK seems to have lights which are compliant with UK law.
As far as I know, there's one Askalitt LED front light in Clas Ohlson that claims UK compliance and one Eurolight LED rear light on Amazon and in a few small shops. I've tried neither (I've got German-spec lights) so I can't comment on their performance. Since a 1994 EU-harmonising amendment, German StVZO lights satisfy the UK regulations, so buy German spec with no problems.

(As I'm writing anyway, I also think that helmet looks like it failed rather than cushioning.)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think this is a perfect example why we should wear helmets. The helmet did the job it was designed for and Annirak appeared to come off a lot less injured than he otherwise would.

I have no idea at all why I am not now convinced to wear a helmet all the time. I have 4 of them and wear one of them occasionally. Usually I wear a baseball Cap or a Buff. I have been riding for over 50 years and have never needed a helmet. Maybe it is that which is misleading me.

It makes total sense to wear a helmet all the time but their must be some long lasting psychological and Scientific study that needs to be done to find out why we still wont wear helmets. I wouldnt Dream of riding my mopeds or motorbikes without a helmet.

Well, since that debate (thankfully) died out, I thought I'd post an update.

I am on the mend. I've been told I can ride my bike again, but I've also been told I need physiotherapy. I'm still not sleeping well: my back acts up while I sleep, right around where I got the compression fractures.

I have gotten on my bike (not the road bike :sad: )The furthest I've gone is about 30 minutes so far, and I'm not back to regular commuting, which would be about 8 miles, twice a day.

My bike is not fixed. It probably won't get fixed, since the estimate to fix it is the same as the price I paid for it. It's been sitting in my garage since I got the quote to fix it back from the bike shop, so I'm mostly riding my old Trek FX 7.0, which is nowhere near as fun as my road bike was.

I'm gradually getting myself kitted up for starting to commute again, but I'm a lot more conscious of the equipment I'm using now, particularly what's required by law and what's recommended. This is not because I expect to be ticketed for having something that's not approved, but more because not using what's required by law or recommended could hurt any potential settlement in the event of an accident.

What did the police say?

Luked1980

Really really really not starting another debate here, but for those who don't wear a helmet is there a reason? (Comfort etc). Just wondered what I am missing as I don't really notice or think about mine?

I think you will find it is not wearing a helmet that is the issue, it is more to do with the fact people will perceive cycling as a dangerous activity and it could become law that you have to wear a helmet.

Really really really not starting another debate here, but for those who don't wear a helmet is there a reason? (Comfort etc). Just wondered what I am missing as I don't really notice or think about mine?

Helmets make the ride more dangerous. I am more likely to receive a head injury in a pub than on a bike, I wear no helmet in pubs or on bikes. With children it's even more contentious, anyone forcing children to wear something that drastically increase the danger of rotational injuries should be arrested for child abuse.

Luked1980

so my 4 year old shouldn't wear a helmet when out on her bike? Now I am really confused?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Helmets make the ride more dangerous. I am more likely to receive a head injury in a pub than on a bike, I wear no helmet in pubs or on bikes. With children it's even more contentious, anyone forcing children to wear something that drastically increase the danger of rotational injuries should be arrested for child abuse.
Given that argument, would I be correct in describing you as "anti helmet"? I only ask because over in the helmet ghetto, it is occasionally mentioned that nobody is anti helmet, merely anti compulsion.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My main reason is a neck problem exacerbated (if not caused) by helmet wearing; lesser reasons are that I never wore one for years (and I used to crash far more often when I was younger), I'm not convinced that the current ones are a net benefit in a collision, I suspect there is risk compensation and they're a pain in the backside to lug about and there aren't many left luggage lockers around any more (my main bike has its lights and locks bolted on - I think one looks an ostentatious tit carrying a bike helmet into a business meeting. It seems a bit like flashing your Ferrari keyfob). If anyone wants to debate any of these, you know where to post it...

I couldn't care less if someone wears a helmet. Nothing to do with me, it's their funeral, I'm serenely unbothered. I just get bored with implausible anecdotes about life-saving helmets. Someone has a collision and claims the helmet saved their life. I don't wear a helmet and haven't been killed every day for 37 years so my anecdote wins.

Luked1980

Please tell me you did some research before putting a plastic helmet on your child?

Excuse my ignorance but I didn't believe the research was required. As most people I would assume that having a helmet on would be a safer option. When I have just had a quick look I couldn't see anything that would suggest otherwise but I am prepared to be educated

winjim

Smash the cistern
I couldn't care less if someone wears a helmet. Nothing to do with me, it's their funeral, I'm serenely unbothered. I just get bored with implausible anecdotes about life-saving helmets. Someone has a collision and claims the helmet saved their life. I don't wear a helmet and haven't been killed every day for 37 years so my anecdote wins.
You're serenely unbothered about something you claim is child abuse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom