Knocked off my bike in a cycle lane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I take it you're not a fan of crumple zones in cars. Do you have an intimate knowledge of the technology that CatLike has put into their helmets? Maybe it was designed to do that.

At the very least, I didn't suffer any abrasions to my head. Sorry if I offended your sensibilities by praising the helmet that protected me. I'm not obligating you to read my thread.
Just re-reading this thread and whilst not a helmet-wearer on the whole, I would say that if your helmet is anything like a riding hat (horses) then it may well have done its job perfectly.... riding hats are/were designed to pretty much disintegrate like that as they absorb the impact. Well, the older ones were; not bought a new one for quite some years so their impact design may well have changed.

classic33

Leg End Member
Just re-reading this thread and whilst not a helmet-wearer on the whole, I would say that if your helmet is anything like a riding hat (horses) then it may well have done its job perfectly.... riding hats are/were designed to pretty much disintegrate like that as they absorb the impact. Well, the older ones were; not bought a new one for quite some years so their impact design may well have changed.
Jockey's skull caps have taken over as helmet of choice, for horse riding, round here. Traditional headwear kept for dressage or show use only. That does include the traditional ladies headwear
Neighbour is into carriage racing and wears the traditional headwear for judging only.

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
Can I ask what they did in physio? What bones did you break and do you have union of them?
Mostly, the physio worked on mobility. I don't know if I have union of the bones. The only way to expose that is with a CT and the consultant in charge my care believes that the radiation dose required isn't worth it, since knowing about the bone union wouldn't materially change my care. To be fair, a spinal CT carries a large radiation dose (about 3.8 mSv, for reference, see https://xkcd.com/radiation/).

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

Your helmet catastrophically failed.

Cycle helmets fail catastrophically, not gradually, in high impact crashes- the forces are so great that a helmet will compress and break in around 1/1000th of a second. The absorption of the initial forces during this very short period of time is unlikely to make a significant difference to the likelihood of serious injury or death.

A helmet that worked properly in an accident would have a permanent depression at the point of impact, but would still be in one piece.

Your helmet failed.

But also saved his skull from fracture!

Licramite

Über Member
I'm sure he would have been much better off without a helmet, the skull is much more resilient than a peice of foam designed to deform and absorb the impact. isn't it amazing he only suffered minor injuries - despite his helmet failing - maybe it something to do with that? - or is that impossible.
I'm just amazed he didn't suffer a rotational injury helmets are almost certainly going to inflict in the event of an accident - he must have been the exception to the rule - gosh how lucky.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm sure he would have been much better off without a helmet, the skull is much more resilient than a peice of foam designed to deform and absorb the impact. isn't it amazing he only suffered minor injuries - despite his helmet failing - maybe it something to do with that? - or is that impossible.
I'm just amazed he didn't suffer a rotational injury helmets are almost certainly going to inflict in the event of an accident - he must have been the exception to the rule - gosh how lucky.
Isn't the skull a piece of bone that has evolved over thousands of years (if not millions) to absorb and redistribute the force of an impact rather than it being transferred directly to the brain? I could be wrong. It could be eggshell thick and break at the merest impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom