Knocked off my bike in a cycle lane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Excuse my ignorance but I didn't believe the research was required. As most people I would assume that having a helmet on would be a safer option. When I have just had a quick look I couldn't see anything that would suggest otherwise but I am prepared to be educated
http://www.cyclehelmets.org/ Here you go, more information than you can shake a stick at :thumbsup:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mod Hat On
Please leave discussions about general helmet wearing and whether you think it is right or wrong to the appropriate forum, otherwise this thread will inevitably go the way of others and get moved.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Excuse my ignorance but I didn't believe the research was required. As most people I would assume that having a helmet on would be a safer option. When I have just had a quick look I couldn't see anything that would suggest otherwise but I am prepared to be educated
There's also HERE where you'll find lots of interesting and stimulating debate about wearing helmets :whistle:

You're serenely unbothered about something you claim is child abuse?

Adults have a choice. Making that choice on behalf of someone is rather different. If someone wants to smoke fags I couldn't care less, if they force children to smoke it's a different matter.

Luked1980

Adults have a choice. Making that choice on behalf of someone is rather different. If someone wants to smoke fags I couldn't care less, if they force children to smoke it's a different matter.

I think I am going to leave it there as I am only going to get annoyed and say things I shouldn't. I completely respect your decision to not wear a helmet when you ride, that is up to you. But to say that I am abusing my child by making her wear a helmet and then comparing it to someone forcing a child to smoke then that, in my opinion is crossing the line.

I am assuming that you don't have children, otherwise you may chose your wording slightly differently

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I think I am going to leave it there as I am only going to get annoyed and say things I shouldn't. I completely respect your decision to not wear a helmet when you ride, that is up to you. But to say that I am abusing my child by making her wear a helmet and then comparing it to someone forcing a child to smoke then that, in my opinion is crossing the line.

I am assuming that you don't have children, otherwise you may chose your wording slightly differently
Ignore that old grump @Luked1980 have a peek at the links I put up, then if you have any questions pop a thread in the helmets and headphones debates sub section :thumbsup:

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
Please keep any pro/anti-helmet discussion to the helmets & headphones forum. This is not the place for that debate.

I've been to see my doctor, since I still have trouble sleeping. She pointed out that I have broken my neck and my back and that I shouldn't be trying to get better all at once.

Can't blame a guy for trying, right?

david k

Hi
it is more to do with the fact people will perceive cycling as a dangerous activity.

In fairness this is a post in a section dedicated to cyclists being knocked down, surely that will have a greater affect on perception than whether someone wears a helmet or not?

I would suggest that where, when and how you cycle affects the level of risk so generalising cycling as safe or not safe is a sweeping statement.

I'm not convinced people form such a strong opinion either way based on wearing a helmet alone.

Sad to hear about the incident BTW. Not sure I can picture the incident, you where in a cycle lane and the car cut in front? why did it enter the cycle lane ?

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
Sad to hear about the incident BTW. Not sure I can picture the incident, you where in a cycle lane and the car cut in front? why did it enter the cycle lane ?
I was in a cycle lane. I was doing a speed similar to that of the traffic. A car turned into a driveway, just in front of me. Due to the sudden braking and turning, I couldn't stop. The rest, as they say, is just physics.

david k

Hi
I was in a cycle lane. I was doing a speed similar to that of the traffic. A car turned into a driveway, just in front of me. Due to the sudden braking and turning, I couldn't stop. The rest, as they say, is just physics.
thanks, so there was no give way in the cycle lane, you were just following it and the car hadnt looked or had and thought they could do the maneuver anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom