knocked off my bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

Ouch, I hope you heal up quickly! 100% his fault, don't let them split the blame, even if its 95/5, don't settle!

Just out of curiosity, which roundabout was this on?

hydridmatt

Über Member
Glad to see you can still type, and all the best

On another note...

As I am sure one or two may have seen, I recently had a run-in with a tanker. During the police interview yesterday, the WPC mentioned that without my helmet camera, they would probably not have been able to charge the driver, as it would have been my word against his.

I bought the camera for £25 from Amazon and spent 20 minutes setting it up – I bought it for recording the traffic, not to post adventures to youtube. But as a result of that purchase, a bad driver will face the law, rather than taking a telling off from his boss. I was always a little suspicious of the helmet camera lot – they could sometimes be a bit obsessed about whether an overtake was necessary – but I honestly now wouldn’t do my commute without it.

So not much help to you in this instance Hood, but for those who put a lot of miles under their tyres, it might become a bit of kit every bit as essential as a helmet. Of course, that is another debate…

nigelb

Hi

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Regards the collarbone, if it needs pinning/plating, get it done sooner rather than leaving it to see how it goes.

Did mine in judo 1998, and it is a lot better now (but nowhere near as good as the unbroken side), but it still bothers me at night.

Forget cycling for a while, I couldn't drive, could hardly cope with being a coach passenger (always asked the driver to wait until I'd sat down before he pulled away, nice big bright sling helps here!).

Nige

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Best wishes for a quick recovery as well. It's worth hunting down some of the accident threads on here like the link put up by Crank, as there's a huge amount of wisdom out there. Don't let plod walk away from it.

If taxi man is willing to lie about his own incompetence then he deserves the lot as far as I'm concerned, and I'm not usually at the 'hang-em-high' end of the spectrum by this board's standards.

wheels

hope you heal up, make sure you get the medical stuff sorted first, was hit six months ago, now have 12 inch plate on my humerous bone...

I spoke to russel jones and walker solicitors throught the ctc, they are great, got an interim payment for my bike a few months ago of £1000 once they admited liability, but now waiting for the rest, its only been 7 months!

good luck! and just document everything, try and get a mate to see if the area was covered by cctv as the footage is only kept on file for a few weeks...

but RJW were great, and help sort everythig for you...

Matty

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

If you were on the roundabout and he came from the left, doesn't matter who hit who, he should have given way.

Matt

Keith Oates

Janner
Sorry to hear your news and like others have said I hope your recovery is quick and in full.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

biking_fox

Guru
Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I too had a broken collarbone from a traffic accident. Fortunetly no plates, but was off the bike for three months or so. but I've made a full recovery and have no lasting sideeffects, so while painful at the time, it's not a longterm problem.

As above. Get in touch with a lawyer ASAP. Russel Jones or Alison France are cyclists themselves which helps. They'll guide you through the relatively hassle free process. Make sure you do write down everything - time of day, visability, road surface, road names everything. You'll be filling in forms 6months+ later and need all these details.

Camgreen

Sounds scary TH, hope your injuries turn out okay, have a speedy recovery.

Okay we all mistakes, but any decent human being would at least hold up their hand, admit they got it wrong and accept the consequences. After all, insurance (hopefully he had some) will cover the damages and any punitive action by the police/licensing authority should make the driver think a bit more carefully about how he drives his lethal weapon, and with any luck ensure there isn't a "next time".

Maybe there's more to it? Maybe the taxi isn't properly insured/licensed for the driver. Check out his plate with the LA, although you would hope the police would already have that bit covered anyway.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Camgreen said:
Sounds scary TH, hope your injuries turn out okay, have a speedy recovery.

Okay we all mistakes, but any decent human being would at least hold up their hand, admit they got it wrong and accept the consequences. After all, insurance (hopefully he had some) will cover the damages and any punitive action by the police/licensing authority should make the driver think a bit more carefully about how he drives his lethal weapon, and with any luck ensure there isn't a "next time".

My car insurance specifically says
"Do not apologise or admit fault. Who is to blame will be decided later."
Blaming you is wrong, not admitting he got it wrong is exactly what he should do in the circumstances.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
mr_cellophane said:
My car insurance specifically says
"Do not apologise or admit fault. Who is to blame will be decided later."
Blaming you is wrong, not admitting he got it wrong is exactly what he should do in the circumstances.

And insurance companies will hang on/drag it out as long as possible (I know a few 'under writers'..... barstewards......

Crankarm

Guru
biking_fox said:
Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I too had a broken collarbone from a traffic accident. Fortunetly no plates, but was off the bike for three months or so. but I've made a full recovery and have no lasting sideeffects, so while painful at the time, it's not a longterm problem.

As above. Get in touch with a lawyer ASAP. Russel Jones or Alison France are cyclists themselves which helps. They'll guide you through the relatively hassle free process. Make sure you do write down everything - time of day, visability, road surface, road names everything. You'll be filling in forms 6months+ later and need all these details.

Russell Jones Walker are a pretty large law firm. They not only offer services to CTC members but to members of some unions. They are not a small firm of solicitors working for the greater good of cyclists. Alison France OTOH may be a sole practionner or have a couple of other partners in her firm. I don't know. BM will be able to give you the low down as he is frequently singing her/their praises. Personally I thought other firms were better than the initial advice and attention RJW gave me. In the end I signed up with CycleAid who were ok. But any PI solicitor will take your case on, on a conditional fee agreement basis whether you are a member of the CTC, LCC, BC or the Tufty club.

Top Bottom