Knocked off..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Absent minded drivers are the worst danger: gws @Scoop940 hope this won't put you off riding. :hugs:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Never mind a wheel truing,i'd claim for a new bike if i was the OP. If he'd have been at fault and caused a slight dent or scratch the motorist would be presenting him with a bill for a new wing,respray and time off work etc etc,so he should try to get what he can likewise!

classic33

Leg End Member
just looked the bike over better, both wheels need truing, front nearly touches the blocks and the rear mech has clearly taken quite a beating on the tarmac.

I think I came off not too bad thanks to wearing all the thick winter layers, would have been worse in summer gear!
Get the bike checked by at least one bike shop. Don't do it yourself, if you are thinking that you wiil claim back the cost of any damage caused.

OP
OP
Scoop940

Scoop940

Well the police have called, and nothing. They have checked her details and as there are no paper offences being committed they want the incident closed. They can't give the details due to DPA. No witnesses mean my word against hers. All I can do is get her details, which I have to pay DVLA for but I know where she lives anyway and try contacted her directly or through a solicitor...

So lesson everyone, even if you are ok and there appears no damage call the police.

Pretty hacked off...

clockman

Über Member
Sorry to hear that plod doesn't want to proceed. Not really very surprised.
Unfortunately, you need witnesses for independent corroboration. To be honest, calling the police at the time might help, but I wouldn't bank on it. It would appear she is a bit 'street smart' and knows how to avoid responsibility. Makes me think she's done something similar before.
As User13710 says looks like it will have to go down under experience.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Well the police have called, and nothing. They have checked her details and as there are no paper offences being committed they want the incident closed. They can't give the details due to DPA. No witnesses mean my word against hers. All I can do is get her details, which I have to pay DVLA for but I know where she lives anyway and try contacted her directly or through a solicitor...

So lesson everyone, even if you are ok and there appears no damage call the police.

Pretty hacked off...

Make a claim direct to her insurers.

You can get the insurance company name from the Motor Insurers' Database.

There is no guarantee they will pay the claim, but there's a good chance if you present it well with a written estimate for the damage.

http://www.askmid.com/

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
They can't give the details due to DPA. .

That's bonkers. The driver is compelled to produce insurance docs to the police because she failed to do so at the time of a collision in which you were injured. If it's not so the injured party can be supplied with the details, what the hell is it for?

GC

OP
OP
Scoop940

Scoop940

I'll try a polite letter hand delivered and see if anything comes from it. not going to hold my breath though

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Why on earth would they, if there is no independent corroboration? This is giving people false hope when actually there is none. The police attended my accident but it has made no difference because there was no independent witness and the driver refuses to accept liability.

It is not up to the driver to accept or deny liability when the insurer is paying.

What happens is the third party - the cyclist - makes a claim to her insurer.

The insurance company will then probably contact her to get her side of the story.

This is good for several reasons, not least because she is less likely to lie to/stonewall her insurer than she is the cyclist.

If she concedes there was a collision - and it has been reported which helps a bit - the insurance company will very likely pay the cyclist.

There is an element of pragmatism here, it is not cost effective for the insurance company to argue the toss over a claim for a few hundred.

The insured might also suddenly volunteer to pay the cyclist out of her own pocket.

Top Bottom