Knocking when pedalling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lukethebiker

I have a knocking noise that I can feel in my pedals, just before it clicks or knocks the pedals get harder to push then get loose/ become normal again in each push. I bought the bike about 8 weeks ago and the noise has been getting louder so nothing could of broke or got loose or anything. It only occurs when I'm on my bike and not when I'm trying to look at it. Any ideas?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What sort of pedals (any brands or codes on them) and was the bike new?

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Grab a crank in either hand and push/pull mightily. Could be the bearings in the bottom bracket falling apart.

The BB is suspect. If you can, remove the chain. Put the bike on a secure stand or get someone to hold if off the floor for you. Spin the crank and put your ear on the top tube. If the bearing rumbles, it is kaput. If it whooses, it is fine.

vickster

Legendary Member
Did you buy it new...in a shop? If so take it back no get the mechanic to take a proper look

Reactions: mjr

bike mad

I have a knocking noise that I can feel in my pedals, just before it clicks or knocks the pedals get harder to push then get loose/ become normal again in each push. I bought the bike about 8 weeks ago and the noise has been getting louder so nothing could of broke or got loose or anything. It only occurs when I'm on my bike and not when I'm trying to look at it. Any ideas?
you need to see if you can get grease in or will sieze up

gs-velo

could be the bottom bracket . check to see if its loose or check the pedals as well . both easy to replace and fairly cheap

Top Bottom