Kona dew deluxe 2010 parts advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclore

Hi,

I have a 2010 kona dew deluxe that needs a bit of work before I give it to my better half. Basically it needs new cassette, chainrings and I suspect bottom bracket. My plan is to save a bit of cash by doing it myself and then taking to lbs if it's not quite right.

I see from the original spec that the cassette is hg40 11-34 8 speed and the only equivalent I've been able to find so far is hg41 version, will this fit the bill?

Regarding the chain rings they should be fsa alpha drive 48, 38, 28. I've not been able to find one of these so what would be a good alternative?

Lastly the bb, are these specific to kona or specific to the chainrings I use? What would a suitable bb be for this?

I'd prefer to use new parts rather than second hand and I've already sorted an appropriate chain.

I hope someone can advise and thanks in advance, cheers!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The HG41 cassette will be a direct replacement so no problems there.

I've got an FSA Alpha drive chainset on my knockabout bike and when it came to replacements Shimano rings were a straight swap (mine is a four arm 104mm/64mm BCD. I don't know if they did other versions). One thing I would suggest though is to get some new chain ring bolts as two of mine broke when refitting making me think the FSA ones are a little weak. I went into my local bike shop and asked them to find a match for those.

OP
OP
C

Cyclore

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Thank you both for your responses, they are very helpful. Looking at individual chainrings I'm thinking it might be better to get a full chainset, would this be compatible?
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.SunRace-7-8-Speed-Chainset_129206.htm

Also, I don't suppose you know which bottom bracket I would need?

Lastly, should I replace the front and rear derailluers as well?

This is the spec of the bike: http://2010.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=dewdeluxe
Personally I wouldn't go for the chainset in your link as it's a downgrade from what you have. The rings are riveted so when one wears out you have to replace the whole assembly.

26 and 36 tooth rings seem to be more easily available at a reasonable price than the 28 and 38 at the moment. These will lower the gearing slightly in low and mid range but not to the detriment of how the bike rides. I did a rebuild for a friend of a friend recently and went for these:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainri...318-64mm-bcd-4-arm-inner-chainring-black-26t/
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainri...8-104mm-bcd-4-arm-middle-chainring-black-36t/
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainri...bcd-4-arm-outer-chainring-48t-for-chainguard/

Are you sure that the bike needs all 3 rings replaced?

The derailleurs probably won't want replacing unless they have been damaged or very badly neglected. If the bike has done a lot of miles the rear derailleur might want new jockey wheels as happened with the rebuild mentioned above. His also had an older Deore rear mech and these were a fit: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares/shimano-deore-rdm593-tension-guide-pulley-unit-y5xu98030/ (The model number should be somewhere on the derailleur in order to find the appropriate pulleys for yours)

OP
OP
C

Cyclore

Thanks Phil, that's really useful.
I was told a year ago that the chainrings would need changing but as the whole drivetrain was not slipping it was best to leave all components and change them all at the same time. The gears are slipping a lot hence why I'm here.

How can I tell if the rings need replacing? The two larger rings have had more use so I guess the smallest one might be ok.

The info about the jockey wheels is useful, the bike has been neglected a bit and had a hard winter in 2018 due to the beast from the east! I didn't use it in the summer and started using it again in October last year.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I was told a year ago that the chainrings would need changing but as the whole drivetrain was not slipping it was best to leave all components and change them all at the same time. The gears are slipping a lot hence why I'm here.
How can I tell if the rings need replacing? The two larger rings have had more use so I guess the smallest one might be ok.
Replace the chain and cassette - this will probably resolve the slipping. Ride (and test). It's quite possible (?likely) the chainset (all rings) will be fine. If you still experience slipping then replace them - and again (like @Pale Rider ) Spa Cycles would be my port of call (48-38-28t):
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p2000/SPA-CYCLES-XD-2-Touring-Triple-Chainset
And your BB is an ISO square taper which lengthwise will be a good enough match.
You can get BBB jockey wheels (sold as a pair) retail for a tenner. That will also save you having to clean and lube the old ones. Threadlock on the screws which secure those wheels.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Thanks Phil, that's really useful.

The info about the jockey wheels is useful, the bike has been neglected a bit and had a hard winter in 2018 due to the beast from the east! I didn't use it in the summer and started using it again in October last year.
Sorry to be be late coming back to this. To an extent, wear can be seen as the teeth will go into points. If it's got to the point that the chain is slipping on the chainrings then that's a clear sign it's time to replace.

If you could post a close up picture of the chainset so we can see the teeth on all 3 rings then perhaps the members on here can give an opinion whether any of the rings can be reused.

OP
OP
C

Cyclore

1554396905458-478258694.jpg
15543969694691458108372.jpg
1554396905458-478258694.jpg 15543969694691458108372.jpg I've added some photos, not sure if they are clear enough. So far the slipping has only been at the rear if that helps.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I reiterate: replace the chain and cassette - this will probably resolve the slipping. Ride (and test (power!) on all chainrings). It's quite possible (?likely) the chainset (all rings) will be fine.

Agreed, on a tight budget no need to replace the chainrings unless after changing the cassette and chain you still experience slipping under power.

However, these do look close to the end of their useful life to me, but I've been a poor judge of that before with my own chainset. :smile:

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
View attachment 460780 View attachment 460781 View attachment 460780 View attachment 460781 I've added some photos, not sure if they are clear enough. So far the slipping has only been at the rear if that helps.
As far as I can tell from those pics, the middle ring seems to be well past its best. The small ring looks alright for a while yet and the big ring is difficult to judge - to me it looks well worn but probably has life left in it yet. Personally I think i'd try it with the new chain and cassette but I'd order up a replacement to have it ready in case of problems with slipping or chain suck.

Top Bottom