Kona Sutra Disc sizing question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zeffer

Hi All,

Long time since I posted, but my broken bones are all mended and I have been mostly mountain biking along canal paths and doing the odd road ride.

Next year I hope to achieve my life's ambition to ride from the north to south coast of France on a proper touring bike with all the kit needed to live out of the panniers. I need to start preparing now, so about to pull the trigger on a touring bike.

I think the Kona Sutra is the right bike (happy to take other suggestions). However, there seems to be some sizing issues as many are saying on forums that the frames are larger than usual.

I have looked at the geometry, which I find a bit confusing. I normally ride a 54cm road bike (Cannondale Supersix Evo and Genesis Equilibrium). It seems I could ride a 52 or a 54cm Sutra, but wondered if anyone has experience and could help me.

I am 174 cm tall with an inseam of about 81 cm.

Thanks!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you are planning on riding the length of France I would only buy a bike that I was 100% sure fitted, therefore I would go a test ride.

OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

Yes, will absolutely be giving it a try. I have to drive a 200 mile round trip and just want them to have the right bike ready so there's as high a chance as possible I take it and avoid a second trip.

I have all the geometry, I guess I will try my best to compare them. I will let you know how I get on!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Can they get both sizes ready? Good luck with your test ride. You do know that Evans sells Kona, so I guess they could order you one in for a test driver and then you would not even have to leave town.

OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

Evans is two minutes walk from my front door, but the prices are higher than I have found up north. May be better than that long road trip though!

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

Alas, it only seems to do the LTD version that is not suitable for me. I may ask to see it anyway as I believe it's the same frame.

Crankarm

Guru
Alas, it only seems to do the LTD version that is not suitable for me. I may ask to see it anyway as I believe it's the same frame.

You are not going to find out if a bike fits on a cycle chat forum. LoL! You actually have to get out there and try the bikes you're interested in and their various frame sizes. If you go to a bike shop that knows what they are doing they can fine tune the fit so the bike actually fits you properly and you are comfortable.

OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

Thanks, I will take a look. Definitely will be trying out before I buy though, so should just accept the fact I may be doing a lot of travel.

cnb

Veteran
I'm 5'8"..I have a 52cm Sutra.. It feels the right size for me...Like you I couldn't find one to test ride so ended up paying Evans a £50 refundable deposit for them to get the bike in for me to try..

OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

Yes, very helpful thank you. I am now going through a crisis as I think I want touring bars rather than drops and I am researching whether that will affect the reach too much etc.!

Top Bottom