Kona Sutra help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

macp

Guru
So im thinking of getting one of these but of course none available to sit on im trying to determine the size I need. I did sit on a 53cm Dawes Gran Tour and I felt the next size would have been too big but there was still a feeling of being a little bit stretched. Then a Kona Jake 54cm where again I would not have gone a size larger. I currently ride a Kinesis T2 in a 57cm which really gives me some shoulder pain and I find myself constantly having to push myself back on the saddle.

Im 5`11 with an 82 -83cm inside leg

Would very much appreciate any help.

http://www.konaworld.com/sutra.cfm

https://www.merlincycles.com/resources/images/GEO_CHART_ROAD_T2RIM_PAD.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
Can't Evans order you one in? You can't really tell how/if a bike will fit from the geometry, it'll just show you which two or three sizes to try (too small, too big, just right as Goldilocks said)

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Can't Evans order you one in? You can't really tell how/if a bike will fit from the geometry, it'll just show you which two or three sizes to try (too small, too big, just right as Goldilocks said)

Thanks Vickster but I dont want to use Evans for financial reasons.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Nobody stocks tourers or if they do for some reason they are XL frames ??

Its either a 54 or 56cm I need I know that much. Im edging toward the 54cm looking at the TT length in comparison to my T2.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Nobody stocks tourers or if they do for some reason they are XL frames ??
If Evans have stock anywhere in their stores or warehouse, for £60 you can order it in, get it built, try it out....go away and ponder, getting your deposit back...

Why not take a trip to Spa in Harrogate?

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Thanks Jerry Im thinking the 54 based on the sizing of there (Kona) other bikes. I sat on a Rove L frame and it was huuuuge but the 54cm Jake felt about right.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Kona Sutra?

Sounds like a bike with a lot of varied riding positions...

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Spoke to a really decent chap @ Sunsetmtb I think they will be getting my business. Incidentally he thought a 54 would suit me and give me more options if I needed to make it fit me better.

I have a 2008 Sutra in a 55. The geometry of the bike has changed a bit since then so I can not advise on that, however the issue I had was that the bars were too low for liking or rather my back's liking. Even in the link you provide the bars are below the saddle, fine on a road bike but, for me at least, less fun on a tourer/ commuter. When you try it for size You may want to swap out the stem .

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Thanks im confident now I have ordered the right size having spoken with another Kona stockist. Felt a bit bad but I have ordered bikes from them before and I usually give them my business for tyres, spares & repairs etc.

If I have to order another stem to raise me up I dont have a problem with that and thanks for your post.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Well its arrived :wahhey:
Colour is lovely in the flesh much nicer than on screen. Bit of assembly to do but its beautifully built and they even include a little pot of touchup paint for those oops moments. Pics to follow.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
As mentioned here is some assembly to be carried out. So far I have fitted the bars and the front wheel, assuming the locking lever should be on the opposite fork to the one with the disc brake carrier ? I had to back out the inside pad to get the disc to slide between the calipers. No idea what the gap should be but I assume I now turn it back in ?

Lastly there are a lot of bits & bobs in a box with no clue as to where they go ?

As you may have deduced I have never done this before so any help appreciated.

Top Bottom