Kona Sutra tyre choice help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

macp

Guru
Evening folks
So from new I have been running Clement X`plor M50 700x40c tyres on WTB 19 rims. The rear is getting pretty bald now so its time to change the pair. I commute almost everyday and im looking for good grip mostly. Any suggestions ?

My bike is a 2017 Kona Sutra with full mudguards so I guess I can go a little wider if need be.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Schwalbe Marathon greenguards have always been well regarded and now Evans are offering the 40c size on clearance for £16 each. Bit of a bargain.
https://www.evanscycles.com/en-gh/schwalbe-marathon-greenguard-700c-tyre-EV150717

Last edited:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Almost not at all
In which case you could probably go as far as aslick if you really wanted (tread on road tyres is more for decoration than anything, the grip comes from the rubber deforming into the road surface). @Cycelops has one good option there. I've never been as wide as 40mm, but I've toured on 32mm and 35mm versions happily, and they will wear far more slowly than your current tyres. There's a 'Plus' version which is even more puncture protected, but is probably overkill and the ride is both heavier and slower than the normal marathon.

The Continental Contact Speed (or previous model, Sport Contact) is a pretty much slick tyre that comes in larger volumes, or their Contact Speed is equivalent to the Schwalbe Marathon.

Panaracer have Pasellas which are road touring oriented, or The GravelKing series which come with file tread or a bit deeper if you want. Otherwise, if you like your current tyres, then Clement/Donnely do a Strada USH tyre with is more road oriented but still has a little tread.

With the rise of gravel bikes there are starting to be lots more options in the 32-45mm size which is good. These are just a few ideas :smile:

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Thanks for that I saw the Continental contact speeds today in a 700x42 and liked the look of them. The only thing I like about the MSO is how easily they come off and go back on. Would really like the same in my new tyres if at all possible.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Schwalbe Marathon greenguards have always been well regarded and now Evans are offering the 40c size on clearance for £16 each. Bit of a bargain.
https://www.evanscycles.com/en-gh/schwalbe-marathon-greenguard-700c-tyre-EV150717

I always trawl through Chain Reaction's and Wiggle's sites if I'm looking for Schwalbes, as they do attention-grabbing offers on a fairly regular basis, and delivery is FOC if you spend enough. I've had Marathons for under £14 each before now, but you have to bide your time then strike whilst the iron is hot - and they've still actually got some stock left!
For me, it would be a toss-up between 35's and 38's, and my most recent ones are 38's because they carried a silly large discount. Marginally more comfort than 35's but only marginal - and they are noticeably heavier. If both were priced the same, I'd go for 35's; if the 38's are cheaper I'd get those. I wouldn't pay extra for 38's though.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Thanks for that I saw the Continental contact speeds today in a 700x42 and liked the look of them. The only thing I like about the MSO is how easily they come off and go back on. Would really like the same in my new tyres if at all possible.
I have had problems getting a Sport Contact on and off of a rim, but that rim is awkward for most tyres, the SC was only a 28mm, and it was also the first version of the tyre. I'd imagine most tyres aren't terrible for getting on and off the rims, though avoid the Marathon Plus which has a reputation for being a pain.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I can't comment on the ease of fitting M+ because I've never run that version, but original Marathon Greenguards aren't half as difficult to fit as some people make out, IMHO. The 38's I've bought most recently, I fitted on 700 hybrid wheels using my bare hands and didn't resort to tyre levers. They didn't exactly just jump on the rims by themselves; they needed some "persuasion", but I used no tools other than lashing the tyre with a bootlace in one place just to get it started.
When I removed one just to see how hard it was, I found a sturdy desert spoon out of the cutlery drawer to be the best implement for getting the first bit of the bead back off again. It wasn't that difficult. Some people would have you believe Marathons are the work of the Devil; they are simply stout tyres that need a good strong grip to mount and dismount.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I've got some pluses on at the moment and they are a dream to take off and put back on, perhaps they stretch over time. Very puncture resistant and comfy but weigh a ton.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
7FAB6599-CBC7-4B67-903A-B1B4D9CBCA15.jpeg

You could try some Vitoria Revolution G+ Graphene 700 x 38, I’ve got some of these on my Tricross, a bit slower than my previous slick tyres but I find them a really comfortable ride at 60 psi. They look to offer good puncture protection, pretty easy to fit too, no tool help required. Unlike the picture they have a narrow reflective band on the sidewall.
They are available from the distributor ZyroFisher via eBay, if you buy 2 and make an offer of £6.50 each then that will be accepted. So £13 for 2 tyres with free postage!
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/323833365953

Last edited:
OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Thanks all for taking the time to comment some good choices here. Those Vittorias might be worth a punt for that money. having said that I quite like the idea of fitting some Contis. Im put off the Schwalbe because when I last bought some balloons (I think they were) for my MTB could I hell get them to fit properly. My LBS managed it a little better but they were still not perfect.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Arrrgh its driving me mad trying to choose tyres I want to stay wide to keep the comfort. Also as im on a 40C tyre I think it may look silly on my bike to drop down to like a 28. I am also concerned about punctures and ease of taking on and off. Does a folding tyre aid taking on & off as opposed to a tyre with a wire bead.

Top Bottom