Kwik Fit servicing bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fastpedaller

Enlighten me then; what does a "service" without parts include?
I can only think that it means check and adjust brakes, wipe and lube chain, pump up tyres, index gears, check smooth operation of wheel/BB/headset bearings, check fasteners are tight..... so basically; 5 minute pre ride checks to anyone that values their life!

'Service' is a word used to make the customer think they are getting a 'special process' is my interpretation. Car 'service' is one that bugs me, as it ofter means just an oil and filter change - something that can be done (probably better *) at home in half the time it takes to get to the dealer.
* A lot of garages just suck the oil out through the dipstick hole - draining the oil at home by removing the sump plug ensures more contaminants are removed!

Jameshow

Veteran
Enlighten me then; what does a "service" without parts include?
I can only think that it means check and adjust brakes, wipe and lube chain, pump up tyres, index gears, check smooth operation of wheel/BB/headset bearings, check fasteners are tight..... so basically; 5 minute pre ride checks to anyone that values their life!

Think fishfright meant his labour was free but his colleagues pay for parts which is how I read it? Which is reasonable.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
'Service' is a word used to make the customer think they are getting a 'special process' is my interpretation. Car 'service' is one that bugs me, as it ofter means just an oil and filter change - something that can be done (probably better *) at home in half the time it takes to get to the dealer.
* A lot of garages just suck the oil out through the dipstick hole - draining the oil at home by removing the sump plug ensures more contaminants are removed!

I believe what you describe above is now often now labelled as an ‘Engine service’ 🤦‍♂️ (By Garages selling such a service. Not me I hasten to add)

Really say I ! ?! No spark plugs, air filter, cabin filter, lubrication of key moving parts. Checking of coolant or washer fluid, gearbox oil change perhaps etc etc. Nope - just suck out ‘some’ oil and top back up with new 🙄

Milzy

Guru
Their slogan doesn’t fill me with much confidence. You can’t get thicker than a Kwik-fit fitter!? I mean come on. 🤪

Fastpedaller

I believe what you describe above is now often now labelled as an ‘Engine service’ 🤦‍♂️ (By Garages selling such a service. Not me I hasten to add)

Really say I ! ?! No spark plugs, air filter, cabin filter, lubrication of key moving parts. Checking of coolant or washer fluid, gearbox oil change perhaps etc etc. Nope - just suck out ‘some’ oil and top back up with new 🙄

I replaced the cabin (pollen :laugh: ) filter in my daughter's car this morning - the total time involved was a mere 12 minutes! I wonder how much a main stealer would have charged?

Alex321

Veteran

I think it is normally referred to as a "minor service", as opposed to the "Full Service".

My car is telling me it is due an oil change. I'm afraid I can't be bothered with the hassle of disposing of the old oil, I'll book it in to the garage round the corner for said "minor service|".

OP
OP
tinywheels

tinywheels

Über Member
just totted up the parts needed to do a service on my car on eurocarparts. £200 approx with discount.
Cost at dealer£307,this includes them throwing a bucket of water over it plus a hoover out. Whilst in their lovely showroom I drink at least two coffee's plus use the WiFi.
I selected decent quality parts so possibly could have got it down by a few quid.
In view of this finding I won't bother trying to source a cheaper option.
The cars now done 95000 miles and never mises a beat.
I expect it do me for 3 more years before replacement.
For the saving once I factor in the faffing around it's not worth it.
Same for my bike.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
just totted up the parts needed to do a service on my car on eurocarparts. £200 approx with discount.
Cost at dealer£307,this includes them throwing a bucket of water over it plus a hoover out. Whilst in their lovely showroom I drink at least two coffee's plus use the WiFi.
I selected decent quality parts so possibly could have got it down by a few quid.
In view of this finding I won't bother trying to source a cheaper option.
The cars now done 95000 miles and never mises a beat.
I expect it do me for 3 more years before replacement.
For the saving once I factor in the faffing around it's not worth it.
Same for my bike.

That’s if they do all the checks / work etc they promise and don’t corners. And you’re assuming the parts used will be of the same quality / value as you’ve priced up…..

£100 Labour (Left to carry out the work and a wash): based on the above parts prices - doesn’t go too far these days; when even my local Fiat garage is £140 an hour.

Either way and somehow they’re making money we presume.

As they should be. Good luck !

Last edited:
OP
OP
tinywheels

tinywheels

Über Member
That’s if they do all the checks / work etc they promise and don’t corners. And you’re assuming the parts used will be of the same quality / value as you’ve priced up…..

£100 Labour (Left to carry out the work and a wash): based on the above parts prices - doesn’t go too far these days; when even my local Fiat garage is £140 an hour.

Either way and somehow they’re making money we presume.

As they should be. Good luck !

It's a bmw/mini franchise. So they use their own parts.
I think their prices for servicing reasonable, they also give it a checkover in that price.
Granted, its probably less than an hours work for them.

Top Bottom