Kyuss, a photography question...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gotte

Hi, I saw you mention in a previous thread that you'd bought stock images. I'm a commercial artist and sometimes wedding photographer, and I happened to take some pictures of a musician at an event earlier in the year. They're good shots, high-enough res. The musician wants to buy 16 images for her website. I've never sold images this way (always selling wedding albums or prints). Do you know what the going rate for web size images is?

Thanks

kyuss

Veteran
Hard to say. You can get generic web sized images for about £5 or less these days, but that's not of specific people. You'll be able to charge a bit more than that I reckon. It's not like they can get the shots elsewhere and it would cost them at least a couple of hundred (probably quite a bit more) to hire a photographer to take some.

I guess it depends how much you think would be reasonable for your time and what you reckon they can afford. If it means the difference of making a few quid or making nothing, it's sometimes better to sell your stuff at a lower price than not sell it at all. At least it gets your work out there.

johnnyh

Veteran
maybe look at the rights you sell under too. ie for one off web use or for any future use in printed materials etc...

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Gotte said:
Hi, I saw you mention in a previous thread that you'd bought stock images. I'm a commercial artist and sometimes wedding photographer, and I happened to take some pictures of a musician at an event earlier in the year. They're good shots, high-enough res. The musician wants to buy 16 images for her website. I've never sold images this way (always selling wedding albums or prints). Do you know what the going rate for web size images is?

Thanks

I used to speak to another amatuer tog on a forum and he'd sell a cdrom of about a hundred images, small resolution of about 1000 pixels long side at around £150 for unlimited web use by the artist. Getting it done professionally would cost about 3 times that, minus any studio/venue hire..

You can draw up contracts for usage too, so they cant sell the image on (which they shouldnt do anyway as its your copyright, but it just reitterates that in writing)

Top Bottom