Ladies bike V gents bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Next year I am planning a Lejog and I think I will need to replace or completely rebuild my gas pipe special tourer. I have been looking on e bay for something suitable and have seen several bikes that fit the bill and more importantly, my pocket. The trouble is some of the better ones in my price range are ladies bikes with the step through frame. After a little thought it occurred to me that this could be an advantage to me. I know from experience that due to my advancing years, when loaded with camping gear I (ahem) have trouble getting my leg over after a day or two riding, and a step through frame would certainly make life easier. My question is, Will a ladies frame handle any differently to a gents and would there be any disadvantages to consider when using one.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The only disadvantage I can think of is that you cannot fit a frame bag. Thats if you even use one. Just make sure the size is right for you.

Otherwise it sounds like a good idea.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
There are quite a few older gents riding mixte's i see on a regular basis around Wellingborough

My dad really ought to ride a mixte - he has trouble getting his leg over the top tube of his bike because of his hip replacement. I showed him the technique of laying the bike on the ground, stepping over it then lifting it upright, but that's not really going to be practical on a fully loaded touring bike.

GuyBoden

Guru
A good mixte is what I'm planning on riding at an advanced age......

A raleigh Clubman mixte would be nice:

s-l500.jpg

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
A good mixte is what I'm planning on riding at an advanced age......

A raleigh Clubman mixte would be nice:

View attachment 409178
A local cyclist has a Galaxy Mixte. I have not seen one on the Dawes catalogue or website so probably only produced for a short time.

My dad really ought to ride a mixte - he has trouble getting his leg over the top tube of his bike because of his hip replacement. I showed him the technique of laying the bike on the ground, stepping over it then lifting it upright, but that's not really going to be practical on a fully loaded touring bike.

It often confuses people when I lift my leg over the handlebar rather than the saddle, the bars are lower (and on my road bike quite narrow)
Used to be able to do a rolling dismount like this but it's been a few years so best not try it.

Many so-called women's bikes have exactly the same frame geometry as the men's version, the dropped top tube is the only difference. That being the case, I can't think of any reason why they would handle differently.

sometimes the reach (the top tube length from saddle to handlebars) is shorter, but that just makes for a slightly more upright riding position so might not be a bad thing.

Top Bottom