Ladies i need some help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
My other half is having trouble reaching the brake levers properly when she rides on the hoods, she rides a road bike with drop handlebars, 105 levers she finds it hard to get enough pressure on the brake especially going down hill, the bars are a compact size, have any of you girls suffered the same problem, and if so how did you get over it.

Hi Derrick, when going down hill....especially if a steep descent I always go onto drops to use my levers I have the same problem. I ride in a club and lots of girls do what I have just suggested.
If however on flat or going up hill then it should be fine to reach the brake riding on the hoods. Perhaps her top tube is too long can you move the handle bars back slightly so she isnt riding so stretched out??

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

The frame is the right size 42cm, she says the bike feels really comfortable, she looks to be in the right position whilst riding, if her hands were bigger and strongershe would not have a problem, thanks for advice.

gavintc

Guru
Not really an option when you have a bike with 105 fitted. But, this thread will be read by others in a similar situation. My wife found that Campag brakes are easier to operate with smaller hands. She wanted an upgrade from Sora anyway, so fitted Campag Veloce.

BrazingSaddles

Über Member
I had exactly the same issue - tiny hands = terrified of descents, especially in wet weather! Shorter stem helped a bit, but the main difference was making sure the components are the best you can get - including the brake pads. Changed brake pads recently on road bike and it has made a real difference. I use sram levers on my road-commuter which I love, but these are teamed with disk brakes, which I also love!
If your other half is not comfortable with getting into the drops for descents, which does take some getting used to, I find getting out of the saddle slightly (knees still bent) works really well as this provides me with far greater leverage and strength - so suggest that she gives that a go.
Good luck Derrick's OH!

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

Which is why i suggested lever shims , bringing the levers closer allows you to get a proper grip on them.
Small hands, it does not matter about shims, she cannot reach the levers properly when she is on the hoods, bringing the levers closer to the bars makes no differance, if she was on the drops the shims would help, but being new to road bikes she prefers to be on the hoods.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Small hands, it does not matter about shims, she cannot reach the levers properly when she is on the hoods, bringing the levers closer to the bars makes no differance, if she was on the drops the shims would help, but being new to road bikes she prefers to be on the hoods.
Does she have to much of her hand on the hoods?
I see a lot of riders have their whole palm on the hoods, which will reduce the amount of reach to the brakes, not a problem if you have long fingers, but can be if you have shorter ones.

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

Does she have to much of her hand on the hoods?
I see a lot of riders have their whole palm on the hoods, which will reduce the amount of reach to the brakes, not a problem if you have long fingers, but can be if you have shorter ones.
Hands seem to be in the right place, think she might have to live with it, the bike is still new to her so it might be she will just have to build up her confidence on it.
Cheers Del.

Or maybe i should put her on a rack, but that's a differant subject. ^_^

Top Bottom