Ladies - I want your cycling shorts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not me really, but SWMBO.
She's tootling around on her new(ish) trike but is feeling uncomfortable in certain areas. Saddle is not a problem, it's the rubbing of undergarments and shorts causing chafing in areas that I'm not allowed to look at.
So what do you ladies wear?
Some sort of decent padded and more or less seam free shorts. Most probably lycra ish.
She doesn't want to look like a cyclist so will be wearing whatever under her existing shorts/trousers.
She isn't a cyclist as we understand it so the Lizzie Deignan look is most definitely out.

Any suggestions, please.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I wear what would probs be considered mid-range £40 ish synthetic padded shorts under something like 3/4 lightweight hiking trousers.

No underwear under the shorts.

With knee high socks to push down when hot , pull up and fill the gap when cold .

Not particularly keen on the 'sport cyclist' look myself either.

There are other techniques that some of us ladies use to be more comfortable in the saddle / undercarriage interface region too

But I'm sorry I'm not 'going there' on an open forum with the sub-school boy humour that can often come into play , on these pages

If she were to join and then enquire on a women's only forum , she might find better enlightenment herself :okay:

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
Wife (74), and daughter (45) have these. Worn under "normal" shorts or leggings. Not expensive, off eBay. Wife regularly rides 20 miles, daughter anywhere between 20 and 60 miles. They both claim no problems with their "women's bits". ;) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Men-Wome...ck-dry-/114293678444?var=&hash=item1a9c6f216c
Thanks @BoldonLad. She might wear the pants, but it will be me buying them! Her rides will be similar to your good lady, and the price suits my pocket.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Thanks @BoldonLad. She might wear the pants, but it will be me buying them! Her rides will be similar to your good lady, and the price suits my pocket.
Ahh yes, odd that, it always seems to be my card which is handy when such purchases are needed (or, should I say, wanted?). ;)

On a serious note, they are cheap enough to try, if not suitable, no great loss. ;)

alicat

Legendary Member
What size is she? I've got some hardly used navy padded shorts with daisies embroideered on the sides of the legs in a size 16 that are free to a good home. If any good, I can check what make.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
What size is she? I've got some hardly used navy padded shorts with daisies embroideered on the sides of the legs in a size 16 that are free to a good home. If any good, I can check what make.
Thanks @alicat. What a generous offer. Unfortunately she says she is a size 12, and that's because of the lockdown. She dreams of getting back to size 10.
I am making no comment at all.
We will have to decline your offer, but thanks anyway.

I'm sure that's half the problem. She's riding in cotton knickers and cotton shorts on top. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me, but what do I know???

Nothing wrong with cotton shorts if she's wearing seamless knickers underneath. Depending on how 'energetic' one is, cotton may well be OK if seamless but a wicking fabric is usually better for anything other than the mildest of exercise.

However the most usually available 'seamless knickers' as sold in 'normal' shops are 'control panties' and 'mild control briefs' and these are most definitely NOT the sort of thing she wants. Running briefs, athletic briefs and the like are the descriptions to look for.

If someone simply can't wear anything other than cotton next to the skin 'down there' on the ladyparts, I suggest getting good quality close-fitting cotton knickers and wearing them inside out so that the seams are not next to the skin. In fact, even doing that now, before the new cycling shorts/ athletic briefs or whatever arrive, may well help. It goes without saying that the knickers should be without any frilly trims, ribbon bows and the like ...

It's crazy but in general the outside of a garment is usually much better 'finished' than the inside of one, even - or especially! - with garments that are meant to be worn next to the most sensitive and intimate places. Mad!

Top Bottom