Ladies road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
I have been searching for a ladies road bike must be a step through frame, i'd never get my leg over a high bar !!
Looked every where but no luck, any advice please. Thank you

vickster

Legendary Member
I have been searching for a ladies road bike must be a step through frame, i'd never get my leg over a high bar !!
Looked every where but no luck, any advice please. Thank you
Bobbin Luna

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Bobbin-Luna-700c-Womens-2017-Touring-Bike_77915.htm

Giant Liv Beliv

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Liv-Beliv-2-Womens-2017-Road-Bike_97899.htm

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Liv-Beliv-1-Womens-2017-Road-Bike_97898.htm

Specialized vita, although flat bar

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-vita-disc-step-through-2017-womens-hybrid-bike-EV279740
How small are you? Perhaps look at junior roadbikes?

Or is it more a flexibility issue?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Thank you, i like the look of that one. I'm only 5ft 2 but i have a dodgy hip which i'm having replaced August. I have a Giant hybrid at moment, just wanted something faster ! and hopefully easier to get up hills
I've added a couple more links, google might bring more up

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't forget that the Luna has a compact double rather than a triple which may make hills more of a struggle. I'd also go for disc brakes for more secure all weather stopping. Try to get your leg across a few!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
must be a step through frame, i'd never get my leg over a high bar !!
I'm a bloke (obviously?) so my input may have limited value, but I do wonder about the merit of step through frames. Thinking logically about it (my first mistake?) I just cannot see the reason for them unless you are cycling in a skirt/dress. Surely the easiest way to mount a bicycle is to stand alongside it holding the handlebars and with the bike leaning slightly towards you then lift the leg closest to the bike and swing it over the rear wheel and saddle in one simple movement. The only times I have tried to get on bikes by stepping over the crossbar, normal or stepthrough frames, I have had to concentrate hard not to trip over the damn thing and come a cropper. There have been a few near misses!
The act of stepping over the chainset and frame is quite unbalancing and requires some contortion, requiring the lifted leg to be bent and carefully manoeuvred through the restricted gap while you are trying to balance on the other leg and keep the bike upright. Getting on the bike the way I describe appears, to me at least, to be a much easier, quicker and more stable way of doing things and if you get the lean of the bike right the lifted leg sails over the saddle without having to bend at the knee.
Looking at just one of the bikes linked to upthread it looks like quite a hurdle to clear even though it is allegedly a step-through frame!

upload_2017-6-27_10-33-37.png

My wife had the same desire to get a step-through frame bike and I persuaded her otherwise and after very little practice she now gets on the bike the way I describe without a second thought (However, she does not cycle in a skirt or dress).

I'm just wondering if your desire to have a step-through frame is actually massively restricting your bike choice for a reason that, in reality, may be a non-issue if the situation is approached differently?

Globalti

Legendary Member
The fundamental flaw with step-though frames is that they are a weak structure so they need to be made from stronger and therefore heavier tubing. Look at the picture above and you can see that the frame would have a tendency to fold under the weight of a rider although that "mixte" frame is braced by a thinner tube running from steerer to seat tube. A traditional "two triangle" frame is a very strong structure because it's so perfectly braced so it can actually be made much lighter in weight.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm assuming the OP has tried to mount a 'normal' crossbar and struggles due to her hip. I have no issue, but do require a fair bit of flexibility to get my leg over, especially with a rack bag on the back

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
'm a bloke (obviously?) so my input may have limited value, but I do wonder about the merit of step through frames.
Fark your leg up and then try! U-frames have their place IMO.

Surely the easiest way to mount a bicycle is to stand alongside it holding the handlebars and with the bike leaning slightly towards you then lift the leg closest to the bike and swing it over the rear wheel and saddle in one simple movement.
It depends what saddlebags or other bags you've got on the back - and if your leg movement is limited in some way, punting the bike when you fail to get your leg over it can be extremely painful.

The only times I have tried to get on bikes by stepping over the crossbar, normal or stepthrough frames, I have had to concentrate hard not to trip over the damn thing and come a cropper. There have been a few near misses!
Don't worry - you just need a bit of practice and it would soon start to come naturally! ;) It's actually quite a lot easier than dismounting over the rear wheel because you can watch your foot all the time and make sure you don't trip over the bike.

OP
OP
s7ephanie

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
Thanks for replies x i'll see how flexable i am when i get my new hip. Meanwhile i'll just poodle along as normal (average works out about 9 miles an hour!) and struggle uphill, although that could be just me not being as fit or as young as i think i am !!

Surely the easiest way to mount a bicycle is to stand alongside it holding the handlebars and with the bike leaning slightly towards you then lift the leg closest to the bike and swing it over the rear wheel and saddle in one simple movement.
How will this help someone who can't lift their leg enough to get over the top tube? I just tried this with my road bike, and the saddle when my arms are at full extent is still much higher than the sloping top tube.

I just cannot see the reason for them unless you are cycling in a skirt/dress.
With modern compact frames, this isn't really a requirement. I can happily cycle in a dress on my road bike, the skirt doesn't get caught up. Edit: but I couldn't mount it in dignity if I swung my leg over the saddle.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom