Ladies road saddle advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iluvmybike

Über Member
+1 for Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow - I have three - one on each of my bikes and several oterh lady riders I know also swear by them

Julia9054

Guru
Didn’t suit me at all! Think was too squishy and has a cut out iirc. Sold to someone on here
I think you and I have opposite bottoms!
I had a selle italia gel Diva saddle on my flat bar road bike. Perfect for me - kicked myself when I accidentally left it on the bike when I sold it. Meant to swop it for one of the random saddles in my garage.
I have narrow sit bones for a woman and need a cut out.
The Charge spoon was the most uncomfortable thing I ever sat on and my very expensive Specialized Oura saddle (with the cut out) is my favourite

Katherine

Guru
Once I found the perfect saddle for my shape I have it on all my bikes and even have a spare one to take on holiday !

It's the ladies gel saddle from H alfords. It says Selle Royal on the back.

I always have the saddle level.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think you and I have opposite bottoms!
I had a selle italia gel Diva saddle on my flat bar road bike. Perfect for me - kicked myself when I accidentally left it on the bike when I sold it. Meant to swop it for one of the random saddles in my garage.
I have narrow sit bones for a woman and need a cut out.
The Charge spoon was the most uncomfortable thing I ever sat on and my very expensive Specialized Oura saddle (with the cut out) is my favourite
This is why taking advice on saddles is a minefield

The Oura was the one that really didn't work for me

I'm large and heavy hence really squashy saddles don't suit, the Oura was just wrong

Other half was lucky and the Liv saddle on her Avail was good for her, has variants(there's road and hybrid versions).

See a lot of Selle Italias on ladies bikes in the shop but no guarantee it would work;might be worth finding a shop that does saddle loans/fitting,Fizik and the like have schemes*

Please don't go and then buy one online:rolleyes::whistle:

OP
OP
Black Sheep
I had her try and sit on my bike with the spoon on, but the saddle is a bit high for her and it was uncomfortable, but she has done two turbo sessions on the bike over the past couple of days so still a touch tender.

Might try putting the spoon on her bike for her to try with a view to getting the ladle.

we'll go from there.

iluvmybike

Über Member
At the endo fo the day saddles are very personal things for men or women - a saddle may be a comfy armchair to one person and a wooden plank to the next. It can be hit and miss finding the right one (experience here!). Once you find the right one it is a good idea to buy 2, if budget allows, as sod's law says they won't be available once you wear the first one out!
Ladies saddle problems are quite different to men's. It all depends on how the lady is built in the soft tissue area and can be incredibly painful. Plonking your OH on a gents saddle is not a good idea

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ladies saddle problems are quite different to men's. It all depends on how the lady is built in the soft tissue area and can be incredibly painful. Plonking your OH on a gents saddle is not a good idea
Or it might be a good idea. I think it's more likely that a woman will want a saddle size/shape that's labelled as a woman's saddle, but it's not a definite because people vary.

Thanks for my new "custom title", too!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...r-saddle-398869/amp?__twitter_impression=true
This popped up on Twitter. Innovative design or gimmick - what do we think?
Innovative. Firm foam under the sit bones and softer on the nose and filling the cutout is an interesting approach I've not seen before. Personally, I've never found a BG saddle I liked (there's still one sat on my shelf from years ago) and I won't buy Spesh any more since the Roubaix and body-paint-women-to-open-a-store incidents, but it might help some if the saddle's the right width for them but they want a softer nose and filled cutout.

capricapers

Innovative. Firm foam under the sit bones and softer on the nose and filling the cutout is an interesting approach I've not seen before. Personally, I've never found a BG saddle I liked (there's still one sat on my shelf from years ago) and I won't buy Spesh any more since the Roubaix and body-paint-women-to-open-a-store incidents, but it might help some if the saddle's the right width for them but they want a softer nose and filled cutout.

Well, I can’t wait to try the new Spesh Power Saddle as I have tried and tried to get on with the Oura Pro that came fitted to my Tarmac Disc Expert (tried all sort of adjustments) but my soft tissue area remains uncomfortable. I don’t think the cut-out on my Oura Pro suits my shape.

Top Bottom