lake dirtrict , looking for things to do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mrs roadrash and myself are off to appleby manor hotel for the weekend fri 23rd to monday 26th courtesy of a christmas present from our eldest daughter,
There will be no cycling involved .
so we are looking for ideas of things to do , places to visit etc.
all ideas welcome

thanks

pclay

Veteran
Plenty of opportunities for walking.

Grassmere gingerbread shop is God for a 15 minute visit.

Sandra6

Veteran
Assuming you're driving you've got pernrith, Carlisle, Keswick and Kendal for shopping. Ambleside, Windermere etc for walking and tea rooms. Rheged is good for a visit or in the other direction you can reenact a brief encounter at carnforth station.
Slightly further out the wild animal park outside of barrow is a good day out.
Depends what you're looking for.
I know some good bike shops ;-)

pawl

Legendary Member
Mrs roadrash and myself are off to appleby manor hotel for the weekend fri 23rd to monday 26th courtesy of a christmas present from our eldest daughter,
There will be no cycling involved .
so we are looking for ideas of things to do , places to visit etc.
all ideas welcome

thanks
Keswick is a great working Lakeland town.Wasdale in my opinion the most scenic valley in the Lake District almost alpine.The Honister mining museum is worth a visit.

gavgav

Guru
Anywhere in the Lakes is worth a visit, but my top tips would be (if you aren't cycling) Ambleside for a stroll around the outdoor shops, Tarn Hows for a stroll around the Tarn, spot of lunch at The Drunken Duck in Barngates, Coniston for a cuppa by the lake and a pint in The Black Bull.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Go to Keswick and get the launch around the Lake, or get off somewhere on the western shore and walk back into Keswick. Very scenic. But wrap up warm if you want to do the whole circuit of the Lake!
Or take a trip on the Ullswater steamer from Glenridding.

(note that the recommendations for Ambleside, Tarn Hows etc are the 'wrong end' of the Lake District if you are staying in Appleby - but it would be a scenic drive to get there if you go through the Lakes rather than just bombing down the M6.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Walking

Flat- Buttermere. A walk round The mere then and go to the pub(s) in Buttermere.

Hilly- Buttermere walk along the mere and go up Fleetwith Pike, or Haystacks or High Stile (or a combination of them if you're energetic. Then go to the pub(s) in Buttermere

The flat walk will take an hour, the hilly walk will be a couple of hours minimum.

spen666

Legendary Member
The ONLY thing worth doing in the Lake District (apart from leaving it) is to visit the Pencil Museum in Keswick. Its what the Lake District was invented for

Top Bottom