Lake District Weekend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GatleyJim

Über Member
Hi,

Me and a couple of mates will be heading to the Lake District for a weekend of cycling in May and I wondered if anyone here had any advice of decent routes up there.

We will get up there on Saturday afternoon and will be riding for the rest of the day, then all of Sunday and Monday morning/early afternoon. We are planning on camping and travelling by train.

My rough idea is to get the train to Ravenglass and aim for a 20-25 miler to Wasdale Head to get the tents up and hit the pub. Then on Sunday I thought we could head out of the valley then up Eskdale, Wrynose, Hardknott and then head north. I'm not too sure about this bit. The roads look quite big and I'm worried that there might be too much traffic around that area (Thirlmere/Keswick way).

On the Sunday we are thinking about cycling around the Northern part of the Lakes and finishing up in Penrith for a train home. Any tips on this would be great.

If anyone has any advice on cycling around there it would be much appreciated. Also, how many miles should we be aiming at cycling each day? I've done a bit of road riding and am happy doing 90 miles on flattish routes but I'm not sure we should go for more than 50 miles on the Sunday given all the hills up there.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help you might have.

Cheers,

Jim.

Top Bottom