Lamb leg steaks.....anyone tried them in a slow cooker ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I know I can grill or fry them but i wonder if slow cooking will melt the fat into the stock (we don't like fat:rolleyes:)

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I've tried it with a full leg. very nice and the fat does mostly end up in the stock

I would imagine the steaks would take less time, but you'd probably have to raise them above the stock, perhaps on a bed of peeled (not chopped) onions, potatoes, apples, etc ?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I've tried it with a full leg. very nice and the fat does mostly end up in the stock

I would imagine the steaks would take less time, but you'd probably have to raise them above the stock, perhaps on a bed of peeled (not chopped) onions, potatoes, apples, etc ?
I thought the idea was to submerge the meat IN the stock ???

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Poultry secateurs, also known as game shears:
are the ace implement for cutting the fat out of lamb leg steaks, lamb chops, pork chops, duck and chicken portions and any other meat with unwanted fat. Also the ideal tool for de-finning and beheading fish and, of course, for cutting up poultry carcases before or after cooking. Buy them here. For slow cooking, cut out the fat and submerge the meat — delicious. Enjoy your Easter lunch!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
lamb leg steaks are like chops, designed to be cooked quite quickly and eaten a little pink so they are tender.

If you are going to slow cook them, they will initially go a bit tough and then go tender again once the reach falling apart stage.

Lamb shoulder is a better joint to slow cook, but will ooze off a lot of fat

I would trim the visible fat preferably after cooking, so you get the flavour from it thru the cooking process, but don't eat it. cook it like a chap, fried for 3-5 minutes per side depending on thickness and desired pinkness

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Unless it's well grilled or roasted, lamb fat is almost as bad as broccoli. I don't think that slow cooking is a good idea.

Top Bottom