'Lance' documentary BBC2 Sun 24th 10pm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My reaction was that if you could strip away the lies, the bullying, the cheating etc. but keep the drive, energy, and yes - intelligence, you could have yourself an incredible politician.

As it is, you'd actually get the equivalent of Donald Trump on steroids (, testosterone, EPO, blood, and so on...)! :laugh:
I note that you didn't mention ethics, morals or empathy in that list. Very wise.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
We watched it. Despite everything, even his total self centered attitude I find it fascinating.
Worth watching just for the bits of old footage.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd need a swear box and a perspex screen in front of the TV if I watched it.

At least, if it was a pound a swear, I'd have enough cash for a top of the range Colnago at the end.:laugh:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Sorry! One? "Caused"? [Not condoning LA in anyway, for the avoidance of doubt.]

It was sarcasm based on the circus surrounding it all .

I wasn't condoning him either but after chatting to an ex pro mechanic I have accept that doping was and is endemic in the sport.

Firstly - thanks for letting me know this was on

so I watched the 2 parts over the last 2 nights - thanks iplayer

very good programme - very detailed and gave a lot of different opinions

basically he seems like a nice bloke - caught up in something
but a superb athlete in many ways

suffered a massive health crisis and came back beyond hope and used that to help and inspire

and doing a lot of good stuff - including the cancer charity that he started - in the background and a good family guy

VERY sincere and honest about his mistakes in the past

unfortunately I have been watching the TDF etc etc etc - and other points of view for many years

so a few things seem to have been missed out
or at least at least downplayed to a massive degree

The most telling things about the whole programme was right at the start - I can;t remember who but a woman said that - talking to the person making the documentary - Lance will try to take control of this and make it deliver the message that HE wants delivered

Which is exactly what happened

so - what I got from the programme

a) (and VERY important) - if doping had not existed in cycling there is a possibility that we would be lauding him as the greatest cyclist that has ever existed - he was - basically awesome
BUT it did - and bought into it TOTALLY
so we can never know how good he could have been in a totally clean environment

b) he is a brilliant speaker, motivator and PR person - absolutely amazing
He could have been someone who made a massive difference to - who knows what - anything

what a waste of a human that could have changed the world in amazing ways!
but he is delivering a message that is about him - because he has to keep the message going

clearly the cancer message is good and he has done a lot of good with it
but - he has also corrupted it

interesting

He made a lot of other people's lives hell (in an effort to keep the doping going and covering up cover ups), more so than all the other top dopers cyclists of his day, by all accounts.
Yeah - that was the bits I meant
I kinda assumed people on a cycling forum wouldbe aware

but thanks for pointing it out

and when you say 'more than all the other top dopers'

as you are aware - WAY more - way way more

worth pointing out

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I watched it tonight, I thought it might be a bit boring just going over what we've heard many times before. But it was fascinating from start to finish and I'm looking forward to the second part.

I've said this before here, but though I accept the guy was an peanut I have a sneaking admiration for him and he's someone I'd love to meet. I asked myself a few times whether I'd have doped if I'd been a pro and the answer is, if I knew most others were doing it, then "Hell, you bet I would have". Better to fit in and survive that go home with your tail between your legs.

Very interesting program, can't wait to watch part 2 on Sunday.

LA was clearly a very exceptional athlete with huge self belief, very nice to see his teenage years success in Tri

Top Bottom