Lands End / John O'Groats here I come..!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Notsoblue

Uncle Phil said:
If you make it out of the West Country, you'll make it to JOG (and you will). Enjoy.

+1

I thought I was going to die by the time we got to Okehampton. It was all good from then on though :birthday:

We took a slightly less direct route through Argyll in Scotland and it was one of the best bits of the trip imo:

Annan
Ayr
Inverary
Glencoe
Inverness

Most of the others we met on the way went via Stirling, saving about 100 miles, but I think its worth it to see Argyll.

Our east of pennines route was:

LE - Bodmin
Bodmin - North Tawton (near Okehampton)
North Tawton - Street
Street - Cirencester
Cirencester - East Haddon (near Northampton)
East Haddon - Lincoln
Lincoln - York
York - West Auckland (we wanted to go to Hamsterley but couldn't get accommodation)
West Auckland - Stannersburn
Stannersburn - Eskbank (SE Edinburgh)
Eskbank - Perth
Perth - Kingussie
Kingussie - Alness
Alness - Lybster
Lybster - JOG

1104 miles or something like that. I'll dig out the stats when I get the chance. Average daily mileage was around 75.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Kirstie said:
Our east of pennines route was:

LE - Bodmin
Bodmin - North Tawton (near Okehampton)
North Tawton - Street
Street - Cirencester
Cirencester - East Haddon (near Northampton)
East Haddon - Lincoln
Lincoln - York
York - West Auckland (we wanted to go to Hamsterley but couldn't get accommodation)
West Auckland - Stannersburn
Stannersburn - Eskbank (SE Edinburgh)
Eskbank - Perth
Perth - Kingussie
Kingussie - Alness
Alness - Lybster
Lybster - JOG

1104 miles or something like that. I'll dig out the stats when I get the chance. Average daily mileage was around 75.

Thanks for that Kirstie, Ill make a note of those places, we're looking at a 10 - 11 day run, so it'll be a century a day jobby.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Notsoblue said:
+1

I thought I was going to die by the time we got to Okehampton. It was all good from then on though :tongue:

We took a slightly less direct route through Argyll in Scotland and it was one of the best bits of the trip imo:

Annan
Ayr
Inverary
Glencoe
Inverness

Most of the others we met on the way went via Stirling, saving about 100 miles, but I think its worth it to see Argyll.

Thanks NSB, I'll add those place names to the list for planning the route.:evil:

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
When I do it I'll need a trusty steed to do it on. I only have my racer (no lugs for panniers) and my MTB hybrid that I go to work on (old/knackered). The fixed I am getting is a pleasure only job, so am in the market for something 'toury'. 5'10" tall, 14.5 stone, 30" inside leg. Suggestions (for a bike!!) on a postcard to the usual address. I was thinking Thorn or Dawes?

I did London-Brighton last year, a 100 miler this year and was thinking of moving up to London-Paris next year. That then leaves Lejog!
Some friends are doing it next year and I may go for it depending on work etc.

Isn't Le-jog better as you will mostly have the wind behind you?

I will be watching developments closely but really had in mind the shortest distance off the main roads mostly (cornwall an exception). Flat and boring sounds good to me!

dodgy said:
When I do LEJOG/JOGLE it will be with a credit card (and a bicycle, obviously) and nice quality pub accomodation on the way, if I can get support (moving my kit between overnight stops I'll do that, too.
Not interested whatsoever in roughing it.

I agree a nice proper bed is essential but if you do that how much kit do you need? You will be wearing most of what you want. With no camping stuff you only need a few bits for a change of gear for the evening. Not enough to weigh you down.

dodgy

Over The Hill said:
I agree a nice proper bed is essential but if you do that how much kit do you need? You will be wearing most of what you want. With no camping stuff you only need a few bits for a change of gear for the evening. Not enough to weigh you down.

Yep, just a small bag with a T shirt and shorts for the night time, some detergent for washing and that would be almost it.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
ComedyPilot said:
When I do it I'll need a trusty steed to do it on ...., so am in the market for something 'toury'. 5'10" tall, 14.5 stone, 30" inside leg. Suggestions (for a bike!!) on a postcard to the usual address. I was thinking Thorn or Dawes?
How far are you from Paul Hewitt Cycles in Leyland ? Get a good fitting (for £50 - deductable from a bike or frame subsequently purchased from him) and get his advice too. His fitting is brilliant and, depending on minor details like budget ;), he can get you an off-the-peg frame or build you a custom one. He will then ensure you fit it/it fits you properly. You could either build it up yourself or have him do it.

@ 100miles/day you will need something quite quick, so a sportive/ audax/ light tourer type might be you thing. I'm presently considering a Kinesis Racelight T or Tk, which can be bought as frame only (£199/299) or complete bike, because, having been measured, that is the size of frame which fits me.;)

just jim

I'm still waiting on my Cheviot ordered mid - Sept, which isn't too big a deal - not something to leave to the last minute though.

A LEJOG pencilled in for next summer was the excuse!

I was thinking of bringing tent/ sleeping bag and the rest, but the general consensus seems to be Hostel + B+B ;)

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I think it's quite a different ride if you camp.

You're moving more slowly, but your options for where to stop are much wider. This means that you don't need to book ahead, and that means that the ride is probably much more spontaneous, and maybe more fun.

That said, if you haven't cycle-camped before, I'd try it on a shorter ride before committing yourself to doing iit (or just carrying the gear while you B&:biggrin: on end to end. When you've ironed out some of the kinks, go for it camping if you want to.

just jim

I think I'll stay with the camping idea; I'm not very meticulous at the planning stage. I'll try to keep it simple and perhaps save some weight by drilling some holes in my toothbrush and remove the clothing labels. You know, like the SAS does.

I won't have much to add to the two weeks I've tentatively requested though, maybe two or three days at the most.

Top Bottom