"Lap the lough" training help request

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Once again a warm round of applause to the people on here that have recently completed their first 50/60 etc miles.
I am working on a similar pattern which I hope to increase over time.
My 100 miles cycle is on August 30th and I am nervous but yet exhilerated at the same time because I can feel the progress already.

However...

For the last three weeks I have been cycling 10-17 miles three times a week and a little further on weekends.
This evening marked the first 20+ jaunt (24.2) that I was able to complete relatively pain and groan free:smile:.
In addition I introduced a good few hills for measure and was able to take them on without too much of a problem.

Does this sound like a good training regime - introducing extra mileage every couple of weeks and a little more at the weekend?
And do I really have to try and do 100 before the date or just get close to it for eg 70 miles?

Just want to be sure I am ready for the "big day":tongue:

Thanks

QC

Garz

Squat Member
The basis you have is fine, increasing your distance each week. I would however listen to your body, if you feel sore or a potential niggling/injury make sure you get proper rest as you cant do 100 mile if you get injured!

Once you get near to 100 I would just try maintain your fitness seeing as this is your goal, if you push it too hard too fast you might use up all the irish luck. Your approach seems to be working and the advise from the seasoned veterans on here will point you further in the right direction. Good luck QC, take it steady - it will come!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
i am a beginner,only started cycling about 3 months ago.Did 57 miles yesterday some of it on rough forestry tracks that took it out of me but last 20 odd on smoothish paths and roads .

Prior to that my longest ride was about 24 miles so it was unknown territory for me.Was knackered at the end but not totally wiped out.Im sure I could have done more if needed.After bouncing around the tracks my rearend was complaining.

Im sure if you can comfortably do 24 now you would be able to do the Round the Lough 100 soon . take loads of water and high energy food with you. I find if I have a couple of sandwiches or a meal its hard to get going again.I prefer to nibble little and often .

Good luck,you could allways fit floats to the bike and take a shortcut :-)

ASC1951

Guru
QC, your regime sounds fine to me. The only change I would make would be to do at least one 70 miler before the event. For me, a ride tips over into being a long ride round about the 65 mile mark, and I do think you need to know what what that feels like physically and mentally.

From the survival point of view I don't think you have to do a string of 100 milers first, but I suspect that once you get the hang of long rides you will find yourself putting a few together anyway.

jpatterson

As an advocate of long steady power based training I think you are following the right sort of training plan and will be in a good position to achieve your desired distance.

Apeman

Über Member
Hello QC ,did Lap the Lough last year, brilliant run and surprisingly easy. Go on the website and download the training plan and follow it although you can tweak it a bit.Mind you I would change the bike to something lighter-go for that Trek! By the way I am bringing at least 5 newbies to the run this year and they are all working on the training plan around Enniskillen and Omagh areas. Let me know how you get on!

Apeman

Über Member
lap the lough training

Hello QC hows the training for the run going? Some of my crew are falling back on mileage but still grinding away. I am off the bike at the moment due to surgery on my hand but am working on the turbo in the shed. Looking forward to the run. Are you going to do the Blackwater run in mid September as well ? Hear from you soon

I would say that you don't need to have done close to 100 before you do your first 100. I was comfortably doing 50 milers before the 100, but I hadn't done any longer rides.

I think if you can do 50 or 60 miles comfortably (i.e. maybe a little stiff afterwards, but nothing more) then you should be fine. I think from about 50/60 upwards, it is more a case of getting enough food and drink on board, rather than being any fitter.

Good luck!:biggrin:

getfit

Hi QC & Apeman,

I have spoken to a guy at work who is interested in doing the lap, so looks like I will be taking the plunge! Maybe we can arrange to meet at the start as it will be good to meet fellow forum members.

All the best with the training.

GF

Garz

Squat Member
Shame new stock of jerseys are long way off otherwise imagine a group of you guys all wearing the CC tops!

Top Bottom