"Lap the lough" training help request

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
guys

Sorry I havent been on in a bit - working like crazy and trying to get what little cycling I can in at the weekends and evenings. Evenings are great when they are dry but sadly the Portadown to Newry towpath that I ride on can blow your head off if there is a headwind!
I havent been getting big mileage in of late, just steady 15-20 milers in as and when I can.
Im going to head out now when I am done with this thread to the legs pumping.

Didnt realise there were some local guys on here!

Let us know how you are getting on!

getfit

QuestionableCarro said:
Didnt realise there were some local guys on here!

Let us know how you are getting on!

Hi QC,

getting on ok, managed my first 30 miler yesterday. The first 22 miles went well, it was the last 8 that were mostly uphill that's the killer. I'm off on a long weekend down south but will get into the grove next week with the intension of doing a 40 and 50 miler by the middle of the month.

We should arrange a meeting place at the start area to put faces to names, even a group photo.

GF

getfit

Training is going well, completed a 40 miler last week and hope to do a fifty this week. I have tried to register via the link on the the Lap-the-Lough web page but it wont accept card payments. I don't do paypal, and would rather the easy online payment as to doing a cheque.

I could also do with an XL option on the tee shirt front as a large just ain't going to work!

GF

barnesy

Im giving it a go, will be my longest single cycle to date. Although in June i cycled 780 miles round ireland averaging 60 odd miles a day. Barely seen the saddle since then though.
Was out for a 65 mile run on sunday there and i felt good, even in the rain and wind so i hope it will go well on sunday.
It would be good to see some forum members but i suppose it will be hard to tell whos who.
Best of luck to anybody whos doing it

You might be able to spot me - I'll be wearing my CycleChat kit!

For anyone doing it for the first time, take note the following 'facts' learned over that past 3 laps:

1: There will almost certainly be a headwind the whole way home from Antrim to the finish - make sure you have enough food to see you home. Do not estimate that Antrim - Oxford Island will take the same time as Oxford Island - Antrim, as it will almost certainly take longer!

2: Lough Neigh can be midgy swarm central if the conditions are right - feel free to open your mouth but keep your teeth clenched!

3: I have yet to find the last water stop - make sure you have enough to get you from Antrim to the finish.

4: Road surfaces can be a little unforgiving in places - unless you weigh little more than a Pot Noodle, keep the tyre pressures a little lower than maximum (105psi rather than 120psi, for example). If you are feeling cruel, have a little laugh at the number of people with microlight, over-inflated tyres changing tubes at the side of the road after about 5 miles!

5: Following on from the above - it is not a race - enjoy the ride, the views over the Lough and the company. Getting round is the only goal.

6: Try to get down early - last year the overflow carpark was waterlogged, and many latecommers had difficulty parking and getting to the start in time. I think they held up the start for about 40 minutes.

Good luck getfit - hope we get a good day for it!

Well, how did we all get on - did everyone get round in one (fairly damp) piece? Is anyone still out on the course?

No-one approached me, but I got loads of lengthy stares at my CycleChat kit - I am pretty sure some people were try to commit the URL to memory!

I got round in about 5 hours - can't give an exact time as my cycle computer decided to pack up yesterday and I didn't take any notice of the time spent off the bike. Less traffic on the the roads this year, but loads more punctures (though not me!) and the ambulance seemed pretty busy. According to the Lap The Lough forum, over 800 had pre-registered for the event - can't wait to find out how many actually went round today.

Even though the weather didn't play ball, I hope everyone had a good time!

Maybe see some of you at Bike The Blackwater on 13 September?

lesterpiglet

Yep, had a good time, though the last 30 miles was bit wet and miserable. Anyway I'm well pleased with my 5 hours 21 minutes.

I was one of those who got a puncture but glad it happened early on before the rain started ...there's nothing worse that fixing a puncture in the pissing rain.

Didn't see any CycleChat kit you must have been way ahead of me!

getfit

Lesterpiglet and dmoan you would have both passed me but I didn't notice the CycleChat kit. No-doubt completely beyond comprehensive thought at that stage. Really happy that I didn't get a puncture. I think if I had after the 60 mile point I would have thrown in the towel and called in the wife for a pick up!

GF

Garz

Squat Member
Well dont let this happen anymore.. head over to the cafe section on the site and order some CC attire so that you can spot one another! :wacko:

weepiglet

Hi all, had a great day yesterday although slighy wet to say the least by the time we finished!
Have to agree that there was certainly more people than previous years and it took me 20 minutes to get parked and that was at 8.15!
Our small group managed to get round in 4.38 although gutted we didn't break the 4.30 mark....my excuse is the rain and the time it took to stop and get my wet gear on!
Look forward to the Blackwater run in a few weeks.

Top Bottom