Lap tops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
hi , I’m after buying a new laptop, I’ve always had MacBook , but may go over to one with windows set up , what would be comparable to an MB Pro ?

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I have a Samsung Notebook 9 as I have to switch between WIndows and Mac (which I use for graphics and Photoshop).

The Samsung is a great laptop except for one issue, the trackpad is horrid. Use a mouse with this laptop but it's reliable and the battery life is immense. The screen is great too. It cost me the equivalent of 1000 quid here in Hong Kong though so I'm not sure if that's within your budget.

Avoid Fujitsu at all costs. They're awful.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What do you use it for? If for web browsing, posting on here, emails and the odd document you could save a ton of money by going for a chromebook. No ms office but if you're not typing pro documents you don't need it.
Many are "convertible" which means the screen flips over and turns it into a tablet with a touch screen.
They are fast as they run on Chrome which is a light and have mmc memory, better ones have SSD.
Check out the vids on YouTube.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I got a £650 or so HP Envy from JL for my business a couple of years back. As a freelancer, I need to have full compatibility with my clients / employers so Windows + full MS Office is needed. It cost about half that of an equivalent MacBook at the time!
Works perfectly with my HP monitor and printer

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
I’m thinking of taking a job swerve that will mean doing a lot of communicating and client data storage and distribution , I had an issue with Apple a couple of years ago , they were not very helpful so after years of being a massive Mac fan I’ve gone off them , I’d say about 1k seems to be a figure that would buy a very decent machine ,

Globalti

Legendary Member
Do not buy a Lenovo Thinkpad. Garbage. They overheat and stop working.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There do seem to be a lot of online articles about that problem!

OTOH, my 2.5 year old Lenovo Ideapad has been fine. I'm perfectly happy with it, though I wish I'd bought one with a touchscreen. (I wouldn't normally use a touchscreen on a laptop but it would be handy for testing mobile apps without having to install them on the mobile devices every time during development.)

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m thinking of taking a job swerve that will mean doing a lot of communicating and client data storage and distribution , I had an issue with Apple a couple of years ago , they were not very helpful so after years of being a massive Mac fan I’ve gone off them , I’d say about 1k seems to be a figure that would buy a very decent machine ,
Make sure you are fully up on GDPR if storing any kind of data that could be considered personal (far more than you’d ever think). And get yourself comprehensive professional indemnity insurance if appropriate

KneesUp

Guru
I've been very happy with my HP Elitebook - it's old now but the Elitebooks are well made so stand up well to being carted about. Mine goes in a pannier bag most week days, albeit in a padded case too. They are also designed to be easy to fix / upgrade for corporate IT, so the base comes off without screws and everything is just there ready to be swapped out. You can (on my model at least) sacrifice the DVD for another HDD. It also has a dock which stays on my desk - I just drop it on the dock and all my peripherals including a second screen are connected, as well as wired network and power, and it tilts the keyboard a little so it's nicer to type on. I don't know why docks are not more popular.

AndyRM

XOXO

netman

Veteran
I work in IT and have been an Apple user for years (at home, Windows at work)... best advice I can give is try a Chromebook out if you don't need locally installed apps... the price, simplicity and speed are great - one option is to get a decent 17" laptop and put Neverware Cloudready on it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

We have them at work ! All new. Much preferred my Toshiba.

Got a 2014 HP Envy at home, was expensive then, but it still flies with a 1TB SSD and a 1TB hard drive. It was a gaming laptop at the time, but it's stood the test of time (except the hinge breaking, that's been glued with araldite).

Any laptop with an SSD will be quick. Just get rid of any software that's set to load up at start, like manufacturer help files.

Top Bottom