Large cruise ship

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was going past today and thought someone had built a new set of waterfront apartments at the Pier Head, turns out to be the biggest cruise ship I've ever seen in the flesh. You just don't get an appreciation for how massive these things are until you see them up close. Unfortunately I only had my rather lousy camera phone with me but to give you a sense of scale that's the Liver Buildings at the stern.

cruise ship.JPG

I'm sort of intrigued by these things. I think I'd be bored on one but I'd like to try it just to find out. Anyone been on one?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I can't imagine anything worse, TBH. Imagine being trapped day after day after day in the company of the kind of people who'd voluntarily go on a cruise ship. It'd be like Daily Mailsville on sea. The horror....the horror....

Bad Company

The Next Stig !
Mrs BC and I did a crossing from Southampton to New York on the Queen Mary. Brilliant trip. The best bit was the 25 hour days so you arrive in the same time zone. If you had that last drink you shouldn't have - you had an extra hour to sleep it off. Wooonderful.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Not been on one. I can't imagine liking it much, unless it was one of those cruises with a purpose or theme - the sort that tour the Med with appropriate archeological talks, or wildlife spotting...

ASC1951

Guru
I had a week's holiday cycling on Madeira a few years ago and Funchal harbour had a succession of these monsters - very very big. Apparently the ones that trundle the blue-rinses round the Caribbean are even bigger, because they don't need to be ocean-stable.

IIRC cruise liners are the biggest ships afloat, apart from oil tankers. The newest are larger than aircraft carriers.

montage

God Almighty
Mrs BC and I did a crossing from Southampton to New York on the Queen Mary. Brilliant trip. The best bit was the 25 hour days so you arrive in the same time zone. If you had that last drink you shouldn't have - you had an extra hour to sleep it off. Wooonderful.

I got to go on on the "testing" voyages before the maiden voyage on the QMII thanks to some work my dad did on there. Great fun!...and free!...and possibly the last build of a kind. I also featured on the safety video which everybody sees when they come into their cabin...though unfortunately this video was replaced when P&O took over Cunard (and completely ruined the quality of service - though I am sure it is still a brilliant trip if anybody here does/has been since the P&O takeover.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
How did you know that. You're right but how did you know?

My guess is that he Googled "Cruise ships Liverpool 21st July 2010".

Up comes this...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...returns-to-liverpool-gallery-100252-26898448/

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Mrs A and I went ona cruise to the Baltics earlier this year. We had the same reservations as those voiced by other posters and had put off cruising for ten years because of it. You know, I am the guy who the barmpot sits next to on any aeroplane, bus, boat etc. (Ye gods, maybe I am the barmpot!). Nevertheless we took the plunge and absolutely loved every minute. The ship we were on was big enough to get away from everyone whenever we felt like it, and food and service were better than we have experienced anywhere, and the entertainment was of a very high standard. (The lead singer had appeared for six seasons in "Phantom" in the West End. I think it matters greatly what sort of cruise and company you are expecting/desire, but providing you do your research, a cruise can be superb.

The cruise ships built as such do not look much like ships, more like floating blocks of flats, but inside our was beautiful. More like a classy 5 star hotel than a ship.

Top Bottom