Laser Eye Surgery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 3897214, member: 259"]So what did you do in the end?
I can now get most of my costs reimbursed on my health insurance, as they've worked out it's cheaper than paying for glasses and lenses over most lifetimes.
I can have RelEx (more expensive) or FemtoLasik.[/QUOTE]

Off topic, but how did it go with your tooth ache? Think I missed the follow up.

[QUOTE 3897229, member: 259"]A bit of wrenching around and they pulled the wisdom tooth and the neighbouring molar out and cleaned out the root canal, They're going to bolt a new molar into my jaw.[/QUOTE]

:eek:
Think I'd rather drink soup for the rest of my life...

Levo-Lon

Guru
I was quoted 3700 for mine after the 395 quote from the telly..

dry eye..is very common sir be aware that the cant fix that

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Apparently there are different types of laser surgery and the results can vary wildly. I was talking about it with an optician and was told that very few opticians have it done, and the ones that do are very picky about who they see.

I also know of someone who had it done and before she'd left the treatment room the whole clinic was plunged into darkness - it turned out that power had gone down across half the city centre and the clinic had no UPS or other back up power - Imagine if she'd been mid surgery when everything just went off..?

I think I'll stick with my specs. :becool:

colly

Re member eR
A customer of mine had artificial corneas implanted. Tres expensive according to her, and she is nowhere near short of a bob or two.
However she said the improvement was better than she could have hoped for. She can read tiny tiny print unaided, even in poor light, and her distance vision is better than she ever remembers.
One side effect was that her colour perception has altered, seeing colours much more vividly. She was told that would settle down after a few weeks once she had gotten used to it.
The op was done under a local anaesthetic and although the surgeon warned her about it, when he removed the existing cornea everything went black, effectively he had blinded her, the lights went on again when he slipped the new one in.

I've not seen her for about a year but will be calling on her sometime in the next few weeks so I'll find out how she is doing.

Tim Hall

A customer of mine had artificial corneas implanted. Tres expensive according to her, and she is nowhere near short of a bob or two.
However she said the improvement was better than she could have hoped for. She can read tiny tiny print unaided, even in poor light, and her distance vision is better than she ever remembers.
One side effect was that her colour perception has altered, seeing colours much more vividly. She was told that would settle down after a few weeks once she had gotten used to it.
The op was done under a local anaesthetic and although the surgeon warned her about it, when he removed the existing cornea everything went black, effectively he had blinded her, the lights went on again when he slipped the new one in.

I've not seen her for about a year but will be calling on her sometime in the next few weeks so I'll find out how she is doing.
A friend of mine had this too (Ob cycling: he's in the Tandem Club). He mentioned the colour thing as well. His corneas/lenses/whatever are for both near and distant vision. Concentric rings of different lensy goodness and the brain takes care of the image processing.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I wouldn't have had it done before i lost the sight in my right eye so there's no way i'd have it done now! My left eye is my lifeline between a normal existence and dependence on others.I wore contacts every day for 35 years but i only wear one now when out cycling and sometimes i don't bother and keep to my glasses. I'm dreading the day if/when i develop a cataract on my left eye, as i'll have to have it removed and be blind for a day or two.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I did it about 14 years ago, despite the smell of bacon and an hour of pretty serious pain I would do it again tomorrow if it meant no glasses or contacts.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
[QUOTE 3897641, member: 259"]Apparently there is no smell or pain during the op now - but discomfort afterwards for a couple of days.[/QUOTE]

I had a discomfort just for a day or so, no pain during the op, but an hour later when out in the daylight my eyes were incredibly photosensitive and it hurt (lots).
Then it was just a matter of protecting the eyes and using the drops for a couple of weeks. I had to wear protectors taped to my eyes for a few weeks whilst sleeping.

I paid top dollar to get the exact surgeon I wanted whom I had researched very well. My thought was I only have one set of eyes, I don't want to trust them to an inexperienced surgeon with a low success rate.

I am not going to go so far as to say it changed my life, but it certainly made life a lot easier, especially where sport is concerned.

Levo-Lon

Guru
[QUOTE 3897251, member: 259"]Thanks, yes, but I'm not based on a particular offer, My limit is EUR2000 per eye (really!), but I'm just interested in any recent experiences. I know you will get dry eye for a while (depending on the treatment).[/QUOTE]

mort
my wife was treated by Mr Vardy for her thyroid eye disease..he is the top man in his field in this area...
i asked him about lasic and he said I wouldnt do it..

the dry eye is permanent if you get this after sergery..

few mates have had great results and some are not impressed..ill keep my specs as they've been fine for 48yrs.

wife's niece paid about 6k for her eyes by a top london surgeon so if you pay you may get the best results..but you pay ya money you take the chance...
i believe Mel B was blinded in one eye from a failed procedure?? But i am going by what i was told so this may be wrong.

vickster

Legendary Member
And it didn't seem to work for Jonathan Edwards, despite doing the laser eye ads, he still wears specs!

FWIW I have a friend who has worked in the area and whose father is an optometrist and he says that there is pretty much only one guy in London at least he would trust to go anywhere near his eyes, and of course, among the most costly

Back when I lived in France quite a few friends and acquaintances stopped with us while they had eyes lasered at the hospital in Bordeaux. The price was the same number of euros as pounds in Britain, at a top eye hospital and an excellent surgeon. 12 or so people I know had it done and all were pleased with it. Just checked the surgeon's name and found he died not long ago, we used to go cycling together.:sad:

Top Bottom